Bazzaz Quick Shifter - Anyone Know About These?

monty_zac

I have fitted my Bazzaz ZFI unit, with the TC and the QS.

For some reason, I cant get the sensor to sit the correct way up, (as in the writing on it) it just won't screw on to the joint that way up (which ever way I turn it) now from reading up, it shouldn't matter which way up the sensor goes, is that right?

Because I can't seem to get it working, it also has an Acumen gear indicator, could that be messing with it?

All the diagnostic tests on the laptop all show fine, and with the bike on a stand it changes whilst on constant tick over (but would that anyway as no load?)

QSBazzaz_zpsa34abfd4.jpg

Also, is there a way of testing the TC, should it stop the wheel from spinning on gravel?

Bazzaz shifters don't work below 3 or 4k rpm and only under load - I fell foul of this.

I don't think it matters which way the sensor is - looking at your pic, you'd need a "push" sensor for road shift and a "pull" sensor for race shift. Is this what you've got?

Bazzaz shifters don't work below 3 or 4k rpm and only under load - I fell foul of this.

I don't think it matters which way the sensor is - looking at your pic, you'd need a "push" sensor for road shift and a "pull" sensor for race shift. Is this what you've got?

Yes, just went and had a look, defo the push.

I shall give it a test at higher rpm on my way home, although sure I must have been higher than 3-4k.

I've read that gear calibration can also be an issue for the QS - if you click the diagnostic tab you will see the values - I'd fire an email to Bazzaz themselves to confirm these are correct.

Monty, are you running road shift pattern, 1 down 5 up? If so you need a "PULL" strain gauge for that shift configuration.

The Bazzaz QS will shift at any RPM, but you are advised not to try shifting using it at low rpm. Keep it above 9000 revs to be sure.

You can test the QS with the rear wheel up on the paddock stand, i.e. no load at about 3000 rpm. BE VERY CAREFUL doing this, preferably with a grown up on hand.

Keep the shift times as long as possible for smooth shifts. On the R1 mine is smooth as silk, easily the best quickshifter I have used.

The best way to test the TC is to book Cartagena in January with us, then we can compare black lines on the last corner. I'm a useless rider, the Bazzaz really flatters my "skills".

Gobert is right as well, ISTR there was a post about it on Motoforum but I can't find it.

Ditch the Acumen as well while you are setting up, then try adding it once you know the QS is OK.

Might be best to get it to a good dyno guy for setting up if you can.

Cheers chaps.

I have a few things to test here so shall report back.

The problem is finding anyone that knows about Bazzaz, my local shop dont know about them, I will check with Tony at Gibsons if he knows, I am up there soon.

BE VERY CAREFUL doing this, preferably with a grown up on hand.

I don't know any grown ups!

Monty, are you running road shift pattern, 1 down 5 up? If so you need a "PULL" strain gauge for that shift configuration.

Looking at the picture he needs the "push" (ie compression) switch - not the "pull" (extension) - assuming the bottom of the shift rod is bolted direct to the lever?

As far as gear calibration goes:

(5) GEAR CALIBRATION

This feature allows user to calibrate the Bazzaz system to properly determine the gear position of the motorcycle regardless of any internal transmission gear ratio changes. The stock settings have been set at the factory. We do not suggest changing these values unless you are

running a transmission other than stock.

A) This calibration must be performed with the clutch fully engaged and the engine above 3000 RPM, making it necessary to use a dyno or rear stand. Exercise extreme caution when using a rear stand as the bike may fall off the stand. With the bike running, software launched and connected with USB cable, place the bike in 1st gear, release the clutch, hold the RPM’s steady at 3000 RPM or greater and click the LEARN 1 BUTTON, wait momentarily while the mapper calibrates for 1st gear. Once the value above the LEARN 1 BUTTON changes, place the bike into second gear and repeat the process. Repeat these steps for gears 3 through 6. After completing calibration of 6th gear, your bike should read all 6 gears correctly. You MUST calibrate all 6 gears in order for the calibration to be correct.

Tim Blakemore Racing set up my Bazzaz. Not local to Essex though.

I'm hearing a lot of good things about Tim Radley at Race Developments, again not in your neck of the woods. Bike HPS sell a lot of Bazzaz, it might be worth contacting them for a recommendation.

Looking at the picture again I think Gobert is right. You can flip the gear shift linkage at the top, this will mean that you are in race shift pattern, but at least you will know if it works or not.

I've got a spare Bazzaz "pull" strain gauge switch if you want to borrow it?

Archived