Compressor When Changing Tyres

Rick448

I've just bought some gear to change my own tyres and am wondering about inflating them once fitted. Will my local supermarket filling station compressor do this or will i need to buy one myself? If so what do I need?

Cheers

Thanks. I just wondered if it would need a high pressure to seal the tyre.

Just use plenty of tyre soap and it'll seat just fine with not too much pressure.

I normally use a cheap cigarette socket powered compressor to seat the bead then go to the petrol station to get the right pressure.

I've used foot pumps and garage air lines, but usually just use the 12v-plug-into-the-fag-lighter option

Switch it on , have a tab and the bead usually seats by the time the tab is smerked.

If you're using a garage air line (if it's one of them auto ones where you preset the pressure), hit the flat tyre button and set it to 80psi

Thanks. I just wondered if it would need a high pressure to seal the tyre.

As said, plenty proper tyre soap is the key here. for years now I have been seating beads using only a foot pump, bit of a knack to it in that you have to get some air into the tyre and try bounce it more or less at the same time, I have now bought an ALDI compressor but as yet Ive not tried it out...

At the rate our local petrol stations charge for air it'd pay you to buy your own compressor once you've done about 3 pairs of tyres.

At the rate our local petrol stations charge for air it'd pay you to buy your own compressor once you've done about 3 pairs of tyres.

Luckily it's free at my local sainsburys. I've got that a foot pump and one of those 12v thingies so I should be ok then.

Thanks all.

Archived