Fairing Swap

phildawson8270

So I have offered my nose fairing up to the bike on the front fairing stay, and annoyingly it is no where close to fitting due to the forks and levers.

I am considering a few different fairings.

VJ22 RGV250

GK76 GSXR400

Honda RS250

Now, I'm sure I have seen somewhere somebody doing a fairing swap from 1 bike to another, but can't seem to find it again.

Has anybody ever done this?

Does anybody have any pictures of the process they followed?

Can anybody remember the thread in which it was done?

It's just a case of chopping away at it until it fits and clears.

Use some blocks of wood to support it in roughly the correct position, check that you can turn the wheel and bars without it catching then once it's in a position that works make the fairing mounts to suit.

Smaller fairings like the rs250 are harder to fit, you may need to split it into two and fibreglass in some extra width in the centre depending on how wide your bike is.

Take a look through the projects section as a quarter of the bikes in there are wearing different bodywork.

My vfr750 in a vfr400 fairing, lots of chopping to get it to fit.

2605123788anglesey.jpg

I think you just found the major problem with fairing and tail section swaps, they're designed for another bike.

Something that makes another bike look nice probably won't translate to yours due to the proportions of both bikes. Remember the lines of the fairing carry through the tank and into the tail, the fairings rear edge usually matches the frame rail etc .... usually they look ok from one view point but the moment you move and walk around the bike it doesn't work. The exception can be a track based bike where looking good isn't so critical.

Make a good job of your original fairing and the bike will be enhanced because of it.

The bike is a f400 bike and the original fairing no longer fits due to changing to USD forks and the bar offsets changing. There simply isn't enough clearance between the front fairing and the bars/levers so I have no option other than to use a different fairing.

Anything is possible with enough patience and head scratching. You just have to look at the supertwin classes to see a lot of the er6 bikes running different bodywork and lots of these really do pull it off.

I have done it a few times now and it can get fustrating but does pay off if you can put the effort into making sure everything lines up correct and if your new brackets are hidden nicely. Maybe put pictures into your build thread so you can get some help along the way?

Archived