Engine Stopping.....

BT81

Hello all

So. 05 bmw k1200r

Recently the flashing battery light appeared.

After a ten mile ride of no problems, pull the clutch in, revs drop. Engine stops....coast to a halt

Later that day, new expensive battery installed (mention that only because its not some cheapo battery)

So, couple of weeks, no problems

Today, 20 miles on the motorway. Slip road, pulling up at a roundabout, clutch in, engine dies?

Could have been a bit scary, lucky no one was behind me as I managed to start the engine on the button

Then at every set of lights I was holding the throttle open to stop the revs dropping

Later on. Pull up. Engine dies again?

Hour later. Key in, button press. Engine starts

Ideas, go! :-)

It was dry today, but the garage where its kept seems to have a leak. But the bike is still covered by a water ish proof cover

Air filter. I do have a new one to put in

Just seemed strange that round town there is no problem. But a good ride out on the motorway...

I (with assistance from Lorenzo .....) will change the air filter to discount that

About £80ish, but could be anything from £50 upwards. If you weren't afraid/scared of the rain/monsoon and called/texted back to me about coming round yesterday afternoon/evening I'd have at least got you a yes/no diagnosis on the reg/rec and any other things that can/can't have a forward/back slash put in them.

Incidentally, a reg/rec being knackered wouldn't be totally unheard of as you've had a shagged battery, the one thing can often lead to another, but it doesn't explain why you could then start your bike once it had cooled down. I don't think that's your culprit, but it's an easy enough thing to check.

Yeah; just seems strange that after a motorway trip??....but did not occur upon picking the bike up and riding back from london?

Been looking on the bmw forums, words like 'ECU flash' and four figure numbers for a fix start to scare me!

Let us know when you are free. and I will have a supply of biscuits ready!

I don't know if this applies to your bike, but it might be worth looking into. A lot of that era BMWs need to go through an adaptive learning routine for the ecu when you disco the battery. They'll normally sort them selves out after a few trips anyway if you don't go through the exact process.

Idle speed too low?

Throttle Position Sensor needs resetting?

It appears to idle normally

I don't know if this applies to your bike, but it might be worth looking into. A lot of that era BMWs need to go through an adaptive learning routine for the ecu when you disco the battery. They'll normally sort them selves out after a few trips anyway if you don't go through the exact process.

there is a throttle re-set thingy; I did do this. Maybe I'll do it again and see what happens ...

Id say reg/rec.. cooked the old battery and will cook the new one if not sorted.. Get loz to check it asap mate.

You knows where I am, nip over whenever our shifts align, but i don't get how, if it was the reg/rec, it'd start up afterwards and then take him home? Sounds much more like a TPS adjustment issue or a loose connection on something.

I'm saying it's user error.

You knows where I am, nip over whenever our shifts align, but i don't get how, if it was the reg/rec, it'd start up afterwards and then take him home? Sounds much more like a TPS adjustment issue or a loose connection on something.

I'm saying it's user error.

Im going by the fact that he had the battery light come on,, then replaced the battery.. No faults for 2 weeks and then they started again. Just sounds like the battery is discharging/not charging.You would find out more if you put a multimeter on the battery to test the charging circuit.

*Assuming he has touched nothing else on the said bike that is.

So. 'I' checked the rec/reg and everything seemed fine.

Change the air filter (not sure why that would be an issue...but needed changing)

The 'BMW' are saying it needs a power commander! Seems a bit daft to me?....

Mmm,, if reg/rec is ok,, then check for air leaks as this will make it stall.

use either wd40 or gas and see if revs rise while you are going around pipes (id use gas).go round inlets and exhaust outlets, all pipes near airbox/throttle bodies.

Speaking of throttle bodies.. have you had the throttle bodies synced? if not get em done.

getting there...

Again, I can sync the throttle bodies while you snap other bits off your bike phil, but you need to do some research, download a manual or something, firstly so you can see what the deal is on the efi light coming on at start up (is this normal?) and secondly so that we can solve the puzzle of how to disassemble the bloody thing!

To others reading this: A BMW is not just unusual because it has funny forks, it is unusual because it's not built like a motorbike, it's other bits stuck together in a shape that people would generally recognise as being a motorbike as is in fact a mind-blowing puzzle of plastic bits, with some metal hidden inside.

So. Doing a bit of looking around, still a power commander is recommended!

Can't believe this is by along accounts a common fault and a pc3 is the fix

Anyhow, being a cheap stake and refuse to pay list price for a pc3, I will look for maybe other options

And so...this is all about changing the fueling thingy at low speeds

Though this is the dyno graph from my bike

IMG_20130817_110154.jpg

Does it need to be enrichened at low speed? Surely it is already.....

http://www.boosterplug.com/shop/boosterplug-bmw-r1200r-192p.html

Confused

Thoughts

That's lean at the bottom, not rich. That said, it's not massively lean, not enough to cause an issue. Your task should be to find out how to set the throttle position sensor correctly, it'd certainly be my next port of call.

• 2 weeks later...

So. Next port of call. For this I need a workshop manual. Where can I download one from ....ideas

And just an update

Saturday. Rode to Rotherham. About 30/ 40 miles.

No problems. An hour later I ride back. About half way into the ride. Into a corner . clutch in to change down. The revs drop....and....stall!

Not sure how 'booster plugs / power commander will resolve this. But let's crack on with the throttle position ing stuff :-)

TPS sensor* would be my first port of call, assuming it is me doing the job, which it isn't of course, but for that not only will you need to find out how to set it, but you'll also need to find out how to battle your way into the impenetrable mass of panzer.

*TPS sensor? That's the throttle position sensor sensor? I love a redundant acronym, the best I ever heard was an American journalist referring to the British BBC corporation.

I wouldn't think the valve clearances would have needed doing simply down to the mileage? Only got 10k on it

And its OK. Even I know asking a mate to do the valve clearances is taking the p&%s - especially when I have you tasked over the next year to .....I have a list! :-)

TPS. What is your thoughts and feelings on why it could be that?

Though if its not the tps. Pc3 it is, or these booster plugs....

Archived