Contact Patch And Sprocket Alignment

phildawson8270

I am almost ready to get the chain etc on my GSXR 400.

For those who have not read my thread, it is using the swingarm and wheel from different models, spacers on the rear are all identical

I am fairly certain that the contact patch alignment front and rear is identical due to identical spacers, and straight fit into the frame for the swingarm, but I would like to check it to be 100% certain.

Additionally, I am running a wheel that is 1.5" wider than standard (from a different gsxr400 model), now, I don't have the sprocket carrier for the original wheel, but the wheel hub on my new wheel is 5mm wider than standard, so 2.5mm either side. But this may be countered by the offset of the sprocket carrier? (Looks pretty damn close when eye-balling it.

My question then is.

What is the best method for checking that the contact patch is equal front and rear?

What is the best way of checking sprocket alignment?

Would it be a fair assumption that if the front sprocket lines up with the front of the chain slider on the new swingarm that Sprocket alignment is more than likely going to be correct?

Easiest way to check the wheels are in line is to take the tyres off, then run a straight edge or bit of string down the centre of them.

The front sprocket lining up with the chain slider is a good sign, try it and see once your sure the rear wheel is inline with the front wheel. Either use a straight edge or you can get those shiny laser magnetic thingymajigs that stick on to the rear sprocket and do the same job.

For the sprockets - buy yourself a length of ally channel or C section and drill a couple of 6mm holes for bolts.

Set the rear wheel square in the swingarm and bolt the channel to the sprocket so its below the swingarm. Move the wheel so the channel comes up onto the front sproket, it should touch the face of the sprocket.

If it doesn't you can measure the difference and either get an offset sprocket or have a spacer made up to sit behind the original.

Thanks to everyone.

I'm fairly certain the wheel centres will be aligned, as the swingarm is a direct fit and from another gsxr400, and the wheel and rear caliper and rear spacers are all, also direct fit.

So my main concern is sprocket alignment which I will check as above.

Thanks people

Archived