Ideal Ergonomics - Opinions Please

jezz

Whilest building a special using off the shelf components susually means you have very little to play with in terms of tuning the riding ergonomics to your individual needs, I am going down the route of a one off subframe for the seat, giving me the ability to decide on the best bum to feet dimension. I'm a shade under 6'2" with long(ish) legs - inside leg 32".

What is the PB massive opinion on ideal distance between seat and footpegs for a café racer? I'm thinking somewhere round the 18" (450mm in new money) mark.

I can't help with specific dimensions right now, but yesterday I discovered that a CBR125 has a more spacious peg to seat distance than a CBR1000RR. Ridiculous.

Years back on another bike forum I brought up this same subject, the wise and the wonderful on that forum slapped down the idea of ergonomics with " don't talk pish, just go and ride your bike", anyway not to be put off by their golden hotshot advice I kept this here link thing on my pooter http://cycle-ergo.com/ It lets you do all sorts to the ride height, position....

VW, that's an awesome link, thanks. I've just calculated that by fitting my nifty new variopegs, I've gained 3 degrees of knee straightness. I knew it was better by sitting on the bike, but it's nice to know the numbers.

It depends on the purpose of the bike.

If you had the same leg room on that CBR1000RR as the CBR125 you are seriously going to limit the available corner speed of the fireblade, as you need the pegs high to get adequate ground clearance for high speed cornering.

Now if it's mainly going to be round town etc, and not a sports machine, then maybe ground clearance isn't a priority.

It's whatever feels comfortable, for customs where performance isn't an issue good adjustable axle stands are handy to find a decent height and position while you sit on the seat.

If you had the same leg room on that CBR1000RR as the CBR125 you are seriously going to limit the available corner speed of the fireblade, as you need the pegs high to get adequate ground clearance for high speed cornering.

It just struck me as being odd that physically the biggest bike I've owned has the least amount of space on it and is more cramped than any other I've had, which includes GSXR's, ZX7R, 675, it's just a really tight fold for my legs. The vario pegs have given me a fair bit more room but due to the tapered pegs themselves, I've only lost maybe 7 or 8mm clearance over stock, and probably gained it if I still had the hero blobs on there.

Is it by any chance one of the newest bikes you have owned?

Same age as the 675, but yes. Thefatman's probably on to something though, as it's also one of the widest too, which probably explains the height.

There's no point in having high pegs in the hope you'll one day lean the bike over, if youre uncomfortable on the bike you won't be able exploit its performance and worse you won't want to ride it.

If you move the pegs back you'll open your knees a little.

You could raise the saddle a little, it might change the waythe bike handles so take it sready. You'll might need a higher screen as s result.

Archived