Anybody Good With Diesels?

Pugwash

Specifically the other half's Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 2006 model.

Up north recently and the fucker went into "get you home safe" mode with exhaust light lit up on dash.

Got Vauxhall garage to stick the computer on it and turns out the swirl flap arm has come adrift. Lad says needs a new inlet manifold. Now I've recently completely lost all faith in both dealership and local garages coz they are either lazy GENTS, trying to fuck you over or both.

Dig around on internet seems this is a common problem (one of many) associated with this particular engine. More worryingly it likes eating the swirl flaps too leading to a whole world of expensive shit. So I poke around a bit more and find this....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/De-flap-Kit-Vauxhall-Z19DTH-1-9-CDTi-150bhp-Diesel-Inlet-Manifold-Saab-Alfa-etc-/350865462319

De flaps manifold, good for some more poke, kills further issues.

Is this the answer to my problems?

Any thoughts or info gratefully received coz i know hee haw about this sort of stuff but seems about right. I could be barking in the wrong woods for all I know though.

Over to you lot.

Swirl flaps are a wonderful issue on more than one manufacturers diesel cars. the choice is to either treat the inlet manifold as a "consumbale" part and replace it every "X0,000" no of miles or remove the flaps and fit the applicable kit.

Given my recent experience with a similar issue on my diesel i'd go for the "de-flap" kit.

Swirl flaps are a wonderful issue on more than one manufacturers diesel cars. the choice is to either treat the inlet manifold as a "consumbale" part and replace it every "X0,000" no of miles or remove the flaps and fit the applicable kit.

Given my recent experience with a similar issue on my diesel i'd go for the "de-flap" kit.

Thought it seemed a bit much needing a whole new manifold.

Right out they come.

Good for a few ponies and better throttle response also apparently. Win fuckin win!

:thumbsup:

Exactly the same issue here matey, a good days work and a bastard to get to.

on the plus side you can get the genuine Pierburg manifolds from LMF for a good price.

If you fancy a laugh give a vauxhall stealer a call for a quote.

posting from my phone at the moment when I get home I'll send you all you need to know. Chris.

Lad at work had this on his Saab 9-3 (Vectra in a posh frock).

Apparently the ball joint on the end of the actuator arm comes adrift but he got a kit on eBay with a new joint for about 40 quid and fixed it in an hour or so...

Shockin really innit?

The poor guy who stuck it on the computer and had a quick look thought he was sentencing me to death look on his face.

I asked roughly how much and he quickly mumbled he had no idea and fled the office.

No stranger to this shite though. Recently put my Impreza in to get front pads done as I was pretty busy with other stuff and have a local repair place 50m from my house.

Calls me after an hour and says I need a complete new front caliper. Pistons seized in and wont budge. Call subaru for price £850 plus vat.

So I call repair shop back "this caliper, be along to get it in 5"

"Erm, OK. Give me 20 will have to take it off the car"

"Not being cheeky but if it's still on the car how do you know the caliper is fucked and pistons are seized in"

"Oh it's just knackered need a new one"

So go along and pick it up. Bring it back to the garage, take dust covers off, tap the "seized" piston with a screwdriver and it flies out.

Get some polishing grade roll on them and two pistons could be doing with changing but not too bad. New seal kit and 2 new pistons which i had to get from Subaru as I need the car cost me 100 quid. Had it all boxed off in a few hours.

Take it back and the manager starts poking around doing the teeth sucking thing and saying there's still a bit off corrosion on this one (on the face of the piston). I lost the fucking rag and told him to fit the fucking thing and dont expect me back.

Lazy, bone idle GENTS. I'm no mechanic/ home servicing expert by any stretch of the imagination but I can tell when somebody is trying to pull my pants down.

I feel for folk who genuinely know bugger all about their transport. My missus got quoted 1500 quid for her Smart Roadster at a dealer for work to simply pass an MOT. She then took it to a local reputable repair and servicing place and they put 2 new tyres on and passed it without incident.

So now I'm determined to everything I can at home. I got most tools needed, and the internet provides a wealth of info.

Cheers lads.

Balljoint sounds nice n easy (but still run risk of engine eating deteriorating flaps) or if I'm feeling up to it, go for the de-flap.

Said flaps quite a bit there.

Shockin really innit?

I feel for folk who genuinely know bugger all about their transport. My missus got quoted 1500 quid for her Smart Roadster at a dealer for work to simply pass an MOT. She then took it to a local reputable repair and servicing place and they put 2 new tyres on and passed it without incident.

That there is exactly why I take my car to a council MOT place - they don't do repairs or owt, so aren't interested in trying to make money from repairs for the MOT

Swirl flaps were common on diesel BMW's upto about 2006 IIRC. They have now made the bits that break out of metal instead of plastic...

I'd go for a de-flap kit if I were you.

Roller skate is in the garage awaiting new rear reluctor rings, front disks/pads and a sump. Having the wheels shot blasted and painted next time back then when it's boxed up needs a few scratches attended to.

Needs a bit of tarting up to get the money that these things still command.

Then getting shot of it. Fucking thing is taking up half my garage and needs to make way for the KX (which is still at my bro's) and a track bike for next year.

Going back to what I said the other day, not too big of a job to do yourself if your confident on the spanners, just be aware that vauxhall absolutely love their torx bolts, both male and female

Worth noting that the timing belt has to come off to do this job and is worth changing whilst your at it,

Managed it on axle stands on the driveway in about 5 or 6 hours.

Dealer will tell you to change the actuator servo as well, however I have now done 2 of these myself and know of many others that also have not bothered with no ill effect.

http://www.vauxhallw...1&ecode=&vid=19

Made a massive diference to response and pickup as well

you need to register to view posts but there is a brilliant how 2 here:

http://www.vectra-c....ld-1-9-CDTi-150

Best of luck, any questions fire away!

Chris.

Forgot to add I have the old manifold here off my current CDTI 150 if you want it to convert to flapless without the inconvienience of waiting to do it whilst yours is in bits ! ! !

Cheers for the info Chris.

Will likely have a stab at de-flapping the fucker myself.

Probably way out of my depth but fuck taking it to a garage and throwing a grand at em.

What could possibly go wrong?

:icon_blackeye:

Cheers for the info Chris.

Will likely have a stab at de-flapping the fucker myself.

Probably way out of my depth but fuck taking it to a garage and throwing a grand at em.

What could possibly go wrong?

:icon_blackeye:

What could possibly go wrong ?

(There may be 2 rubber & metal lines to the "vacuum reseviour" that are identical to look at but one is a feed and one is a return - there may well also be a none return valve in the circuit and "somebody" may or may not have plugged them in the wrong way round and completely stopped the Turbo actuator from moving. . . . . . at all - thus turning my 150bhp turbo diesel into what felt like a 40bhp diesel van.

this may or may not have happened!!!)

:pbtwerplr3:

Archived