Aprilia Help Needed

Mr.Incredible

My Falco had a flat battery. Not flat flat, but flat enough not to start the bike. When I finally got it running by jumping it off the car, I watched the volts when I revved the engine and noticed they didn't go up beyond 12v.

The battery is new. Before I start ripping bits off, are there any known faults like this on the Mille engines? Clearly the nature of the fault suggests it's the alternator, but are there any Aprilia-specific things to check first?

Thanks

It's Italian therefore it's knackered!

Brown wire between the cylinders and rectifier melting?

Watch turning it over with a flat battery as it will chew the sprag clutch.

Look on RSVR.net.

A common problem that i encountered was the brown multi-pin connector for the reg/rec melting. Cut it out altogether and splice in some big spade connectors and solder the joints, job jobbed.

As above plus the charging system needs beefing up! the gauge of the wire is too thin.

A common mod is to run additional live and earth wires from the reg/rec to the battery directly (via a fuse)

As above plus the charging system needs beefing up! the gauge of the wire is too thin.

A common mod is to run additional live and earth wires from the reg/rec to the battery directly (via a fuse)

very much this, had to do this to my mille.after that the voltage reading staid pretty constant.

I think that due to the age of your Falco it'll have the original, underrated solenoid, if so you'll need an uprated solenoid and battery, the best people to either get them from or at the very least get good advice is Aprilia Performance http://apriliaperformance.co.uk/ what Griff doesn't know about Aprilias probably doesn't exist.

I think that due to the age of your Falco it'll have the original, underrated solenoid, if so you'll need an uprated solenoid and battery, the best people to either get them from or at the very least get good advice is Aprilia Performance http://apriliaperformance.co.uk/ what Griff doesn't know about Aprilias probably doesn't exist.

This, mostly, though would that affect the voltage reading?

Did this on mine after the crappy 50amp one burned out, putting a 150 amp yamaha one on and the difference in starting was very noticable.

Thanks all. I will call Griff today. Will look at all the various connections first and also get my multimetermatey on the alternator wires.

My Falco is the final year. Built '04, reg'd '05. Solenoid seems fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a charging system fault. Either the Reg/Rec or generator as it should be pumping around 13.5V to 14V to the battery with the motor running.

Any progress with it?

Archived