Fucking Indicators

lorenzo

The chavvy bloke I bought my bike off had removed the indicators, because he is a beyond the law, he's that hard etc (or a plumber from surrey, that wants to portray an image...). The most similar to the OE shape I could find were LED, but they're not the usual tat, they look quite nice. However, they don't fucking flash, or indeed illuminate at all when I press the button. I went and bought an 'LED compatible' relay, still no joy, they're wired the right way round as they will light up when I short the pins on the loom where the relay goes. Are resisitors going to be my salvation? I thought they usually only cured things when the relay flashes too fast, rather than not lighting at all. I've also checked the earth of the whole relay circuit, that's OK. I'm just fucked off with the bloody thing...

I tried fitting LEDs to my bathroom cabinet and found they didn't light with the standard transformer, unless I connected one of the standard halogen bulbs in one of the other fittings, then they'd light fine. I assume the halogen reduced the amps to the LED, so resistors may cure the problem.

Race bodywork, and a Daytime MOT.

Next question.

I have heard tell that wiring in a normal type indicator to the system solves this problem...

You heard wrong. Nige, you're a tit too.

Fitted some resistors in parallel last night, did nothing, then in series, did nothing, then got a pair of normal bulbs and wired them onto the one side, still didn't work. I've actually tried 3 different relays too, the last one of which is specifically for LEDs. I'm fairly stumped here to be honest. I'm going to leave it as is until wednesday, me trying to sort it after a 12 hour shift each day with a fuzzy brain isn't helping, but it's doing my head in.

V=IR, not I/R

Resistors should be fitted in series, if in parallel 1/R=1/r1+1/r2 therefore the the combined resistance = closer to the lowest (ie the LED)

Seems odd, having changed so many relays etc, have you got a good earth?

Sadly I was thinking about your problem while running this morning, is there any chance of you fitting just normal indicators to test the wiring? At least then you have a starting point, either:

a. Good wiring - therefore it is the relay/LED combo

b Fucked wiring - therefore relay/LED combo may be good

other consideration is are the resistors of sufficient wattage?

P=I2R or V2/R e.g you've got a 6 ohm resistor in series, you're looking at a minimum 24W to dissipate, you can get away with less Watts as they flash therefore not on all the time. Go with a minimum 10W per indicator and it should be ok.

Checked the handlebar switch still contains the contacts?

Stupid I know, but if he had willingly removed the indicators then by that stupid logic the switch contacts are no longer required either.......

Fuck me buster is your brain as big as your spuds?

No, if they were he'd have read the bit above where I said about trying a pair of normal bulb type ones on the one side and got eff all still.

Contacts work as when I bypass the relay I still need to switch them on at the bars.

No, if they were he'd have read the bit above where I said about trying a pair of normal bulb type ones on the one side and got eff all still.

Contacts work as when I bypass the relay I still need to switch them on at the bars.

Fuck you Mr Magoo :finger:

Reading what you put there, I'm thinking bad wiring to the relay. I'm sure you're more than capable of fixing it (12 hour shifts aside), but if you want a hand I'm only in Chester, so a trip over to sunny Stockport/Manc land ain't too bad.

Archived