Fitting Koso Clocks...and Related Problems

Annaz

I've just fitted a koso rx1 unit and thought the best way to wire it up would be to connect like for like to the existing clock wiring, except for the tacho (which I have tapped into a low tension coil lead) What I have now is a working unit but no rev counter operation and an engine that now thinks the rev limit should be around 2000rpm.I had originally connected the tacho to the existing pulse wire that goes to the cdi unit and it is possible that I have spiked the fucker. Any help or advice would be very welcomeCheers Mick

First of all i'd try plugging the original clocks back in and see if that lets the engine rev above 2000. It shouldn't have done any damage to the CDI I doubt it would run at all if you'd fried it.

A fair point, I was thinking about plugging the old tacho in . I have somewhere in the back of my mind that people used to cut a tacho wire on the earlier baby blades to get them to rev higher. I wonder if there is some kind of component in my revcounter that's necessary for revving up, or creating a return signal. A resistor maybe?

That's correct that some of the jap import bikes had a resistor in the speedo/rev counter and wouldn't rev without it. Try the tacho, but also try with all the original clocks back in as it could be in the speedo.

I connected the old clocks up and that rev counter doesn't work now, the speedo was an analogue type with a drive cable and only had lights connected to it. When I originally wired the new clocks up I foolishly got two of the wires the wrong way round, both being brown wires, one is for the live ignition power to the unit and the other is for the tacho, and in doing so I blew a few fuses, namely the one for the indicator relay (which one of the tacho return wires feeds to) I still think the cdi is at fault. I've known ignition units fail partially before on an R1 I had. I'll know more when I borrow a replacement and plug in. The only other thing I can think of now is that there is a brittle wire in the loom that I've disturbed while re-routing it.

Archived