Electrical Issue

roastdinajima

Ok a couple of months ago in a burst of enthusiasm iset to workto remove the unneeded wiresand generally tidy up the loom on my '00zx6r track bike, and much to my surprise it started up first push of the starter, a couple of weeks ago i tried to start it and it just turned over until the battery died and would't run i put this down to having feck all fuel in itso i charged the battery a shorai lifepo jobbie with my lead acid charger which shorai say is ok. Today i connected the battery and put some fuel inand hit the button the bike turned over and ran for a few minutes then stopped having popped the 10 amp ignition fuse,now if i replace the fuse and turn the ignition on the fuse pops straight away , i,m a bit of an electrical numpty so any help you can give me is appreciated, i have a multimeter but no clue as to what to do with it!

Have a feeling you fried the battery,but put the voltmeter on the battery on around 20volt setting to see if it has abnormal high voltage.Had a faulty battery myself awhile back and that blew the fuses out on my bike.

But maybe others have better info here.

As above, check with a meter and then stick a lead acid battery on to see if the fault is still there. If fault then disappears, you have your answer.

If fault remains, you'll need to work your way through the wiring methodically to find it. A tedious task but well worth it in the long run.

Check for bare wires/broken insulation shorting to the frame, especially where it goes past the headstock. I had this (among many many other wiring issues) on the pegaso I had years ago.

If the fuse keeps blowing you have a short somewhere. You will need to go through the wires (loom,switchgear,ignition etc) to find it.

Start with the switchgear and work towards the starter motor.

Electrics are fun

She lives!! Some numpty managed to get a couple of wires around the way in the multi plug to the coils but it starts and runs on 4 cylinders now, happy days!

Archived