I`m Assuming Its The Battery

ssray

Had to bump the bike yesterday morning, so I charged it last night on my optimate, green light this morning, when i got to the bike after 9hrs I checked and had 15amps from the battery,

started bike and it went up(brand new electrex reg/rec fitted last week)

stopped after 10miles to chat to a mate,then the solenoid just clicked then just started

The optimate was on red(deep discharge)

charging spare at the mo

Ray

what's the voltage across the battery terminals at...

static, ignition off

bike ticking over

revs held at around 4k

unplug the generator plug, is there continuity between any of the terminals?

what bike?

Bump start this morning, the optimate was showing green (on the spare battery) plugged in and click,click etc I got to the station about 12 miles turned off and I would not turn over

I`m going to borrow a hammer and screwdriver from work and bash the starter motor before I try and start it(and buy some new leads)

Ray

Your old reg/rec (You want to hope it was your old one!) has probably boiled your battery dry in at least 1 cell, at a guess.

The optimate charger should tell you if the battery is knackered. If you say a fully charged battery would not start the bike then it is a starter issue. If your able to start the bike but it only runs for a while with lights and a hour ride then it will not start after then it's a charging fault_.

Had this over on the versys forum, twas indeed a battery that had gone, their optimate was showing charged but the battery just couldn't hold a charge for long or take a quick charge when riding along

Optimate will not tell you about all battery problems. I had an 18 month old Yuasa that looked perfect on the charger but would then loose its charge over 2 days.

As I understand it, an Optimate will show you that a battery is charged to its capacity, but if it has started to fail then its capacity may be a fraction of what it should be and will be too little to perform its job. I've had several batteries that would show a green light on an Optimate but wouldn't turn the bike over.

I removed the starter and attached it directly to the two batts(one at a time) and ....nothing, new(s/h) one ordered, the carbon brushes were over half worn and lots of carbon dust in there, the commutator was discolored but I did not test anyfing

Cheers

Ray

Archived