R1 5Jj Steering Head Bearings

hybrid400

Can anybody shed any light on a problem with my 2000 5jj r1?.Ive recently changed the steering head bearings on it and i cant stop them coming loose,every 2 or 3 hundred miles they need adjusting again.went out tonight and there was the tell tale knock from the heasdstock again.i relaced the original ball bearings with some quality taper rollers and have done the head bearings on nearly every bike ive owned at some point.i know that there is a specific torque setting for them but their values are for the ball bearing type head bearings and not (i assume) the tapers as i would have thought the torque values would be different for each type of bearing.this will be the 5th or 6th time ive adjusted them in the last 1500 miles or so.am i missing something,or is there a specific torque value for the taper bearings that i should be using,any advice would be welcome.

Are you sure the races were 100% home? Can be a Bugger to get the bottom one into the headstock perfectly, and if you havnt it'll keep getting loose as it moves up through riding.

If the races are home, then if it helps I adjust mine with a jack under the exhaust, on a rear paddock stand so the front wheel is in the air, and tighten until the left right left movement gets slightly tight, then back off an 8th of a turn or so. Sorry if this is jumbled, Stella artois©

I did consider that alex and after the second time it happened i took the yokes out and gave the bottom race a couple of deft taps to make sure,and im sure its seated as it should be,but i guess it wouldnt do any harm to take them out and give it another tap.

As has been said, I found my 5JJ head bearings a bit of a bastard to get pressed in fully, mine took a good few nips after each ride to get spot on.

Go and do a few wheelies, then retighten.

wheelies it is then :lol: its gonna have to wait till after the donnington classic festival though as times a bit short for any shed time,thanks for the replys guys.

Archived