Replacing Rear Sprocket

Dom

So,

My 2012 zx10 feels a little lacking at the bottom of the range and I was considering fitting larger rear sprocket. Everything I've read says "replace chain and sprockets at the same time" but I'm wondering what difference it makes? OK so my new sprocket might wear out faster but the chain only has 4k miles on it so it's not like it'll need replacing tomorrow or next month?

Also, how many teeth can I go up at the back without needing a longer chain? Standard is 39t so I was considering +2 - would I get away with that?

its 17/39 yeah? drop a tooth on the front sprocket would be easier.

Ah, it's not easier though as I need a breaker bar/impact driver for a start. Would I need to split the chain too? Rear sprocket is a ten minute job.

Why?

No

If I don't need to split the chain the happy days. Isn't the front sprocket torqued on like a bastard? I'll need something more than my stubby Halfords wrench. I don't have a scaffold pole either!

when i went +2R on the R1 (keeping the front sprocket as standard) I could do it on the original chain. but to go +3 would have required an extra link.

I did the rear sprocket first as it was easier to swap than the front. Also I had a spare rear sprocket carrier so I could swap the gearing in a flash for trackdays

Anyone asking why its hard to get the front sprocket off a 2012 zx10r has never tried!! They are fucking unreal, honest to god. They are the biggest pain in the arse and all manner of "fucks" and "bastards" can be heard all over the BSB paddock as teams try in vain to remove them. Big fuck off Airgun is the only way my friend.

• 1 month later...

Well, I managed to replace the front sprocket using just a breaker bar, but here's a tip: put something over the tank to protect it so that when the nut finally pops (fuck me did pop) then you won't scratch and dent your tank on the folllow-through.

FUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKK MY LIFE.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Anyone asking why its hard to get the front sprocket off a 2012 zx10r has never tried!! They are fucking unreal, honest to god. They are the biggest pain in the arse and all manner of "fucks" and "bastards" can be heard all over the BSB paddock as teams try in vain to remove them. Big fuck off Airgun is the only way my friend.

Really?!? I would be surprised if a team would change a front sprocket over the weekend. They would know what gearing suits the track before the race weekend, and I doubt they would change the rear, let alone the front over a weekend. Also, I would expect that each team would have a windy gun, massive breaker bar and a scaffold pole on the truck too, so getting the front sprocket off wouldn't be a problem. And if they didn't, the team next to them or opposite would have.

Well, I managed to replace the front sprocket using just a breaker bar, but here's a tip: put something over the tank to protect it so that when the nut finally pops (fuck me did pop) then you won't scratch and dent your tank on the folllow-through.

FUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKK MY LIFE.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

maybe that was why I was taught to use the breaker bar in a downwards angle instead of pulling it up the way..also suppose it helps to get your body weight onto the bar too...good news you got it off, shame about the tank damage..

maybe that was why I was taught to use the breaker bar in a downwards angle instead of pulling it up the way..also suppose it helps to get your body weight onto the bar too...good news you got it off, shame about the tank damage..

That would've been my preference but I don't have a half inch extension bar and without one you can't clear the engine/fairing for a downward push. Shame.

Really?!? I would be surprised if a team would change a front sprocket over the weekend. They would know what gearing suits the track before the race weekend, and I doubt they would change the rear, let alone the front over a weekend. Also, I would expect that each team would have a windy gun, massive breaker bar and a scaffold pole on the truck too, so getting the front sprocket off wouldn't be a problem. And if they didn't, the team next to them or opposite would have.

Its a constantly evolving bike though, you always go into a weekend with a good base setting, however changes to the engine map, basic tune and different riders can have a massive influence on the gearing. Also when you`re aiming to claw back 10ths of a second, it comes down to slight tweaks that aren`t possible with a rear sprocket alone, if its only a small difference in ratio you need then changing both sprockets is the only way. You can also manage the wheelbase by changing both as all bikes have an optimum figure that you don`t want to stray away from as this can affect how the bike turns in and how it puts its power down. The BSB teams do have access to air tools, most of the smaller SS1000 teams don`t, an electric impact gun maybe, but these just don`t have the same breakaway torque that the air fed ones tend to have. I watched Dave Fearne snap a sledge hammer shaft through his back wheel and bearing onto the swingarm trying to undo his front sprocket nut with a breaker bar and scaff pole!!

Archived