2007 R6 Won't Shift 4Th / 5Th When Hot (On Track).

potheadpixi

Gents, please help.

My 2007 Yamaha R6 (2C0) often refuses to shift from 4th to 5th on track.

This only happens if I'm giving it full beans, and generally only occurs later in the day when everything is hot.

I took the bike to Aragon ( air temp was over 30 deg C) for a track event and it did it frequently on both straights. Worse after lunch.

The bike has only done 4000 road miles and a few track days. It's well maintained / adjusted. Gearing is -1 on front, otherwise it's basically standard.

No quick shifter fitted - I usually just feather the throttle slightly during upshifts.

I can tell when it's going to fault as the shift lever doesn't seem to move as far during the problem 4/5 shift and it will just stay in 4th once I release it.

No false neutrals. Perfect on the road - just plays up on track. Usually it goes in second time round, but by then I've lost a load of lap time.

I've checked out the R6 forums but can only find issues with second gear on earlier models. Seems the R6 box is generally reliable.

Any thoughts or experiences ?

Cheers, Andy.

Going to be a bent selector or similar isn't it? If it has had a hard life it might just be a bit fooked.

Do you run race pattern? I found that I get a firmer action and fewer false neutrals on my old moto using it -might assist with your trouble here?

Hi, yeah I guess I am shifting without clutch. Never had any probs on my other bikes and this one is only playing up on the 4/5 shift.

I'm pretty sure it's happened when I use the clutch though - or at least when I've thought it was going to happen I used the clutch and still got the problem.

Not using race pattern either... maybe I should. I did lower the shift lever a little to get a firmer shift, but fault still occurs.

Thanks for your ideas guys.

And yes CMSMJ1, my worst fear is a bent something in there.

Just funny how it only does it when the engine / ambient are high.

Archived