2 Stroke Reed Cages

Hendo

I have has this issue for a while now where my 3XV hesitates going from say, 3/4 throttle to WOT. It will sit at WOT all day and pull like a train but has this hesitation only happens when going from part throttle to fully open.

I have a new set of intake manifolds coming for it as the originals look a bit perished. I treated the reeds and reed cages to an ultrasonic bath to clean them up a bit. The rubbery surface looks to be quite worn out on the cage itself.

Does anyone know if this could cause my hesitation problems? Im kind of clutching at straws here.

photo_zpsa8908901.jpg

I wouldn't have thought so.

Whats the spec on the bike?

How bad is the hesitation?

Has it been jetted correctly?

What have you looked at already?

I'd be looking at the YPVS setup first, although my experience on the 3XV's is fairly limited.

Otherwise, it's fucked. I'll give you £100 for it, and I'm cutting my own throat at that.

:eusa_whistle:

I dunno how best to say this so I will say it straight.

The problem may not be the bike. It is a 20+ year old two stroke running flat slides. A v-twin with very sophisticated carbs for the time, but it is still a relatively ancient two stroke fed by flat slides. Maybe a more progressive opening of the throttle will help. Flatslides are not keen on sudden large throttle openings, unless you balance matters with the clutch.

Softee softee catchee flatslide.

I wouldn't have thought so.

Whats the spec on the bike? Completely standard.

How bad is the hesitation? Quite bad. But I know how to provoke it and therefore I work around it. Imagine running out of fuel, not completely stopping but starting to bog. I probably wouldnt even call it bogging, more not pulling for a few seconds. I wind the throttle off slightly, then wind it back on and it usually cures it.

Has it been jetted correctly? Completely standard carbs/jets etc. Set up as per the factory manual.

What have you looked at already? I ultrasonically cleaned the carbs ages ago, I suspect its something to do with that. New plugs, check air filter etc. Checked all the intake side for leaks. All good.

I'd be looking at the YPVS setup first, although my experience on the 3XV's is fairly limited.

Otherwise, it's fucked. I'll give you £100 for it, and I'm cutting my own throat at that. You generous bastard! :biggrinvk4: :biggrinvk4: :biggrinvk4:

:eusa_whistle:

I dunno how best to say this so I will say it straight.

The problem may not be the bike. It is a 20+ year old two stroke running flat slides. A v-twin with very sophisticated carbs for the time, but it is still a relatively ancient two stroke fed by flat slides. Maybe a more progressive opening of the throttle will help. Flatslides are not keen on sudden large throttle openings, unless you balance matters with the clutch.

Softee softee catchee flatslide.

I know what your saying JP, but that really isnt the problem. I could whack the throttle open all day on this thing and it wouldnt be a problem. I could do loads of 1/4 mile flat out drag runs and it would be faultless.

The problem is when cruising it top gear and going from around 7/8th throttle, to WOT. Its that subtle. It'll do full throttle right though the gears no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Did some runs last night.

When it does it, its like a big flatspot that it wont pull through.

Putting the choke on as its doing it appears to make no difference.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Archived