Advice Needed - Oil Pressure/flow

szrdave

I'm about to try and start my SZR660 after a few years off the road.

It's got a replacement engine which was running fairly recently, and I've changed the top end.

Last night I added about 2L (it should take 2.7-3.0 total) into the oil tank (dry sump) which filled it up.

I turned the engine over a few times by hand which didn't effect the level, although it did burp out a small amount of oil with the cap off, so I left it until this morning expecting the oil to have drained into the sump overnight.

It hasn't, and after spinning the engine over on the starter motor for a few seconds a time removing the oil tank cap results in quite a bit of oil coming out.

An oil pressure test in the manual is to remove a bolt from the top of the oil filter housing (other side of the bike to the tank) and see if oil comes out. It doesn't.

Looking at the lubrication diagram there are two circuits, oil goes from the bottom of the tank into the oil pump in the sump, and then either:

a ) Comes up through the cases, over the top and back into the tank

b ) Goes via the oil filter to the head

I think the oil is currently only following path a, so my question is would you expect the low rpms of spinning the motor over by hand to generate enough oil pressure to force oil up through the filter into the head?

My guess is if I fire it up and check the oil pressure it will be fine, but I'd rather get a second opinion first!

Never mind, just answered my own question....a few seconds of running and a nice fountain of oil appeared (all over the front drive)

Archived