Relay Quer-Ay

Boozybloke

Just having a go at fixing the ldd-but-not-quite gsx, and one of the jobs is replacing the relay solenoid. Now, I bought a cheap one off ebay, it was listed as the right one for the year/model, but is obviously not an oe part. Just gone to swap them over, and the new one has just one wire (as well as the main power ones) coming out of it. The old one however, has two wires. Now I hope I don't sound thick, but I'd expect two wires to be right, to complete the circuit for the solenoid? Should I be going back to the seller at this point and telling him he's sent me the wrong one?

I wonder if the new one earths itself through the frame?

The single wire from the new one will be the earth for the solenoid coil. It'll get it's power from the live off the battery end of the contact.

The single wire from the new one will be the earth for the solenoid coil. It'll get it's power from the live off the battery end of the contact.

But how does the solenoid circuit complete without the wires to the starter switch?

But how does the solenoid circuit complete without the wires to the starter switch?

On most bikes the starter switch is not a live supply, it just completes the circuit to earth.

You may find that the live to the solenoid on the gsx is fed directly from the switched live off the ignition switch, and the earth comes from the starter button. You can check this by measuring the voltage at the two cables going to the solenoid coil to a direct earth (the frame) one should give you a +12v as soon as the ignition is turned on, and the other will make the circuit to earth when the button is depressed. If this is so, isolate the +12v cable and merely connect the cable from the starter switch to the single cable on the new solenoid.

Hope this makes sense, I'm not too great at explaining these things. Otherwise I'll resort to drawing an MS-Paint style diagram :)

Hmm, interesting... I think I understood that, though it shouldn't matter now as I've found another one which has 2 wires and bought that. I'd prefer not to have to chop the wires around anyway just to get it to fit, and seeing as it doesn't have to be bodged now I might as well do it properly.

Ta for the explanation :thumbsup:

Glad to be of assistance. I don't understand much but I can work electrics. :icon_salut:

Archived