Tuono Racing Oil Light Help Please..

jollygiant

Just did my 1st track evening on my Gen 1 Tuono Racing and discovered that I can not push it to it's limits but It will go beyond mine.... It also goes well on the grass at 70mph too..... :facepalm: (Twice :getmecoat:)

All was going well until I finished my 2nd session and the oil light came on, on tick over then went off when blipped.

So went out in next session and it would be on then off then on some times it would go off above 5,500 revs then on when I changed gear then off again. Other times it would be on above 5 and off under it.

Kept going out though...And on all the time too!

Oil level is bang on the engine sounds fine and pulls well like normal.

Rode it home with it on and was fine!

The oil was last changed 4,500 miles ago.

Im presuming the light is pressure not level?

Any ideas??

What number is 2rd? ;)

Most bikes tend to use the red light as a pressure indicator, rather than a level sensor.

Could be a dodgy sensor?

What number is 2rd? ;)

Most bikes tend to use the red light as a pressure indicator, rather than a level sensor.

Could be a dodgy sensor?

Suspect electrics on an Aprilia? You wash your mouth out...

Aye, I'll throw in my carbon fibre leg, all 4 inches of it

What number is 2rd? ;)

Could be a dodgy sensor?

Dunno what you are on about :finger:

I must admit I'm thinking electrical as it runs fine. But it was running at 85˚c+.

I would be getting it checked by a competent (Someone with a workshop with their name above the door that does receipts) mechanic before I rode it another mile. It sounds like a little more than an electrical problem to me.

from what I remember the switches go off at about 1 bar ( 14.5 psi ) and prilla spec for oil pressure at tickover is min 15 psi , you have a choice of answers

1 , it's fucked

2 , the switch is a bit borderline

3 , your oil is getting a bit tired

4, ,it's fucked

5 , It's Italian character

6 , it's fucked

7 , have you been riding it ? , see 1,4 and 6 ( and 8 )

8 , it's bolloxed

hth

Well the bike is alive, oil light didn't come on till it reached 87˚c so I'm guessing knackered oil.

Will change it and see then!

Ring Griff at Aprilia performance. Chances are he'll have a pretty good idea. Not much he doesn't know about them.

Spoke to the god of all things aprilia and it's possibly the oil pressure switch, so going to change that and oil, filter change and go from there.

just to be on the safe side, wait until you've done that before firing it up again...

Well the carbon whore lives....

Oil, filter and pressure switch changed and ran up to 95˚c and no little red light.

No metallic bits on sump plug or in oil or strainer. There was however some oil seeping from the body of the switch.

Have you put a pressure tester in place of the switch to see what sort of pressure its making? 95deg C is water temp no oil. Without scare mongering, i'd still test for pressure first, until the oil has got properly and I mean properly you won't know if its anything else. Oil pressure is resistance to flow.

I built a car with an m3 engine that had no pressure at idle when the oil was hot, no signs of anything else wrong, turned out the bearings were going out of spec.

• 2 weeks later...

Oil seeping from the switch body, ie where the plastic and steel meet? The SXVs are prone to switches failing, however its strange why it doesnt do it cold...

Oil seeping from the switch body, ie where the plastic and steel meet? The SXVs are prone to switches failing, however its strange why it doesnt do it cold...

Yup there was oil there. I have done about 400 miles since changing it and its fine.

Archived