My K6 Thou Is Doing My Head In.....!

laney

How do,

My k6 gsxr thou has developed a strange problem the symptoms are when you are going down through the gears coming to a complete stop sometimes it stalls, just as if its forgotten it needs to tick over!!

Its strange though because if it stalls at a set of traffic lights,you could start it back up, ride to the next set of traffic lights and it ticks over...

I did decide to wind the tickover up for a trackday last month, at about the same time it started to play up,so i reset the tickover back down to standard (1100 rpm).

The electric idle control works ok,as ive run the bike with the tank up, ive disconnected the battery to see if i could reset things, its got new plugs in etc etc........??????

No pc on it, ive had the standard ecu mapped instead... I guess i might book it it to my local stealers,and see if there are any fault codes logged..

The difference between it stalling and not stalling can be as little as 25rpm. Mind did the same thing turned my idle up a touch on the screw but not enough to show on rev counter and it hasnt stalled since.

They are very rpm sensitive.

The difference between it stalling and not stalling can be as little as 25rpm. Mind did the same thing turned my idle up a touch on the screw but not enough to show on rev counter and it hasnt stalled since.

They are very rpm sensitive.

What does yours tick over at??...

I've got the same bike and although I've not had any problems with mine, I've read that problems with the TPS are not uncommon.

a couple of things to consider in light of what you've said...

are the spark plugs the correct ones and were they properly gapped before they went in?

have the throttle bodies been balanced?

what's the bike's mileage - have the valve clearances been checked, are they ok?

has it only started happening since the ECU was remapped (out of interest, who did it - I am considering getting mine done)

presumably you're running a different end can or a full system, did you remove the PAIR (emissions) gubbins?

my factory manual records the tick-over as 1150 +/- 100 rpm - so perhaps if you raise yours to 1250 it might cure it....

I've got the same bike and although I've not had any problems with mine, I've read that problems with the TPS are not uncommon.

a couple of things to consider in light of what you've said...

are the spark plugs the correct ones and were they properly gapped before they went in?

have the throttle bodies been balanced?

what's the bike's mileage - have the valve clearances been checked, are they ok?

has it only started happening since the ECU was remapped (out of interest, who did it - I am considering getting mine done)

presumably you're running a different end can or a full system, did you remove the PAIR (emissions) gubbins?

my factory manual records the tick-over as 1150 +/- 100 rpm - so perhaps if you raise yours to 1250 it might cure it....

Thanks for the reply,

The plugs are correctly gapped, i haven`t looked into the throttle bodies as its only an intermittent problem, when its not playing up it ticks over well and pulls like an absolute train, but ill look into the tps, as when it does play up it does seem as if the ecu doesn`t know where the throttle is....

Its only done 8k, so im not to concerned about the valve clearances yet, and it was playing up before i had it remapped. A company local to me in deepest darkest black country (cradley heath) remapped it, Projex engineering, cant fault the place tbh...

Its got a micron can and k+n. I haven`t removed the pair stuff, as i like the popping and banging on the overrun.. I might wind the tickover up a bit more as its at 1100 at the mo... Again, thanks for the suggestions folks, its appreciated...

A friend had this on his bike (not a k5 thou, but a suzuki) and it was the valve clearances, but with your bike only having done 8k id be suprised. (tolerances were just to tight when the bike was warm). Never known anyone have anything else go wrong on a suzuki apart from that so I cant offer any more advice, sorry.

I just did mine on the k6 thou at 22k miles - the first time they'd been checked I think - and they were all ok

at 8k yours should be fine, I don't think they are due the first check until 12,500 miles IIRC

Archived