Whiney Gearbox

lorenzo

A mate of mine has got a mid-90's CBR600. All is well with it apart from the gearbox is making a horrible noise when on the throttle. Off the throttle, or with the clutch in, it's fine. The tone of the whine remains the same at a given road speed, irrespective of the actual gear he's in. My suspicions lie with the bearing on the output shaft, but being as my gearbox knowledge is minimal, I'm throwing the actual diagnosis to the floor, see what you can come up with. What do the wise folk of the forum think is the issue, and what's the cure for it? He's on quite a tight budget and the bike's not worth a fortune, is it the sort of thing to simply say 'get another engine in there', is it expensive enough to write the bike off, and seeing as it's getting worse every day, is it going to explode into a ball of flames within the next 5 miles?

If its any of the gearbox bearings the motor will have to come out and the bottom end split. I doubt it'd be the anti backlash gear on the clutch.

Gearbox bearings for those aren't too expensive and you won't have to strip the top end.

You should be able to see/feel excess play in the output bearing by trying to move the gearbox sprocket up/down or in/out. Might need to slacken the chain first though. Also oil leaking around the seal could be a clue. I would be very careful riding it though, if the bearing breaks up it could lock the back wheel up.

Archived