Best Way To Clean Black Chrome?

Toseland's Eyebrows

Hi all, I finally fixed the leaky gasket on my little Honda and attacked some of the corrosion on my exhaust with a wire brush, it came up ok (the bit above the spring). I'm going to attack the down pipes with some WD40 and a scotch pad to make them pretty.

The area a bit aft however has a lot more corrosion, is there a recommended way to clean this up a bit? Will the corrosion flake off like it did in the less affected areas or am I more likely to poke through? It feels really solid, just has a crusty coating that is pissing me off. Please tell me that it will somehow miraculously restore to a shiny black finish again..

frZ78SH.jpeg

edit for speeling

If that was mine I'd be thinking about getting it blasted and refinished. You could try to attack it with abrasives however you may well end up with bare metal.

Use a wire brush to take the loose stuff off and sand back to flatten the metal a bit. You're not going to be able to get this flat and smooth so just take the worste off and make a key for paint. Now use a rust killer and leave it overnight. Finally paint it with exhaust paint.

When you run the engine for the first time run it for about a minute and allow to it to cool. Then run it for two minutes and cool ... built this up so you cure the paint onto the pipe but exhaust paint is a matt finish not gloss or black chrome.

Archived