Meta Alarm/immobiliser

fran9r

My brother has just bought a 1998 ZX6R, which is fitted with a Meta alarm/immobiliser.

Unfortunately, it seems to have stopped turning the immobiliser off whilst he was working on it -has been working fine for a few weeks.

Wiring is a bit messy because previous owners have fitted heated grips and hid lights. However, I've taken a look, and found that the neutral light isn't working (does this come on when the immobiliser sets?). I think that points to a separate issue, but we shall see.

Since he had it the key fob has been intermittent, but he has used the code and it's been OK.

The alarm light does turn off, but it seems to have immobilised the starting circuit and the neutral light. Everything else seems to work.

Any idea?

Just take the thing off & throw it in the bin.

Mine is only a couple of years old & it is always cocking up & ignoring commands etc. I will be removing it very soon.

Already taken off a Datatool on one of my other bikes which had a mind of its own. Alarms are sh*t.

Agreed, that is the long term plan...but a trackday is looming, so it needs to be up and running soon!

How big a job was it to remove? We have no info on how it's wired in, or even where it's located!

Agreed, that is the long term plan...but a trackday is looming, so it needs to be up and running soon!

How big a job was it to remove? We have no info on how it's wired in, or even where it's located!

The Datatool was a doddle to remove due to it been bike specific & just a few plugs to swap about.

I have not got round to the Meta yet but it looks the same with just a few plugs & wires to swap over. Its currently on an RSV4.

Im not sure how yours is fitted on an older bike as it could be soldered on to the bikes loom with spliced wires here & there & bloody everywhere! lol.

Good luck, & cover your head in glue. [To stop you from pulling your hair out.]

Forgot to add, there will probably be a trigger switch somewhere [normally under the seat, to stop battery access.] Check that this has not dropped off anywhere & that the magnets line up,as this could be the cause of it immobilising the ignition.

It will not always trigger the siren as it could be stuck in service mode.

You should be able to find the alarm box in the seat unit or under the tank. I will repeat- GOOD LUCK.

They're pretty easy to remove-the alarms probably fitted either in the pillion seat space or off to one side-remove the tail bodywork anyways to access the wiring(which will be easily identifiable& spliced into the original-one to the solenoid,some to indicators etc etc-it's easier than you'd think,just remove the bodywork and take it from there

Thanks for the info. Anyone have a Meta alarm? Does it show the neutral light when the alarm/immobiliser is still armed?

it doesn't usually affect the neutral lamp , if your not getting a neutral lamp you are removing part of the starter circuit , does it start with the sidestand up and the clutch pulled in ?. as for intermittent remotes , try new batteries

Thanks for the info. Anyone have a Meta alarm? Does it show the neutral light when the alarm/immobiliser is still armed?

Yes. I have a Meta one on the k6. I've had no trouble with it, to date (gulp)

if you turn on the ignition without disarming the immobiliser, everything works normally - gear indicator, neutral light, indicators, horn etc - the only thing it won't do is turn the starter.

as for the 'trigger switch' which Bungle refers to, this will only operate if the two parts move relative to each other while the system is active.

I know this as I recently found something odd stuck to the underside of the k6' tank and figured it was the trigger switch.

you could try speaking to safe n sound alarms who are a meta dealer http://www.bikealarms.net/contact.htm - I spoke to them about the aforementioned trigger switch and they couldn't have been more helpful.

you could also try Peak security http://www.bikesecure.co.uk/pages/about_us.html

As a side note, I've never had any problems with any of my alarms, ever (touch wood) - Datatool, Meta, always did what they were supposed to. I am clinically unable to remember how to put any of them in service mode. or turn motion sensor off for ferries, but other than that, fine.

Are peak still going? I've had stuff fitted by them before, and was very happy, but the website looks like it hasn't been updated since 2005, and the contact form isn't working. I spoke to a chap who used to work for them, and he said they'd split up acrimoniously?

Are peak still going? I've had stuff fitted by them before, and was very happy, but the website looks like it hasn't been updated since 2005, and the contact form isn't working. I spoke to a chap who used to work for them, and he said they'd split up acrimoniously?

No idea - I've never used them personally but a mate did have an alarm or something fitted by them yonks ago and said they were very good, at the time.

on the other hand I spoke to 'Safe n Sound' a few weeks ago. really helpful guys, and local to me which is a bonus if I ever have a problem!

We used to get safe n sound to fit all our alarms(as alarms can potentially cause so many problems)-smashing guys and really know their stuff!!

Thanks everyone.

We removed the alarm, which was much more simple that I first thought...and when we made the original connections the neutral and oil lights started to work! Very happy with that...alarm must have been goosed to have caused the problem, but it's now safely stashed inside the bin.

Archived