Can Someone Explain The An-Fitting Thing?

Marb

I'm looking into brake lines and the likes, found some brake line quick releasers and they say AN-6. Is this ok for motorcycle brake lines?\

Brake line banjo fittings to the master and calipers are almost all just standard metric threads commonly M10x1 and M10x1.25. AN /Dash fittings won't fit brake systems, you will normally just find them on oil cooler, oil lines etc on a bike.

An AN Dash number refers to the pipe outside diameter in 1/16ths", your AN-6 would be for 3/8ths" pipe, the thread is standard for each Dash, a -6 thread is in fact a 9/16" x18 SAE thread. It's a weird system originally conceived for use in the aircraft industry and taken up by the car industry and others, if you want any fittings it's easier and a lot cheaper to use a hydraulic factors and get the right fittings in "ordinary" SAE which are exactly the same.

AN-6, I think, is the size that's often used in the screw in bits on a brake line, rather than on the banjos as described in bezzers post, which makes sense; you'd expect to have a quick release fastener on a line rather than on the caliper itself. Therefore, what I'd suggest you'd need is a brake line with screw in banjos. I bought some like this a little while back off ebay, but I can't find the seller.

You want -3AN for brake line fittings.

Thanks, mate. I just bought 3an. When Ive seen this thread and get nervous heh. :)

One more thing.... so what is the size of this AN3 in milimeters?

I mean if I buy regular ss lines it will fit ?

Dash fittings are for imperial size pipe/tubes which are still widely used in the pneumatics/hydraulics industry. -3 is for 3/16ths" OD tubing which is a touch under 5mm so way too small, replacement brake lines are usually around 10mm OD so could possibly actually be 3/8ths" which would be -6, you'd have to check for sure..

Don't be tempted to try and use dash fittings with close(ish) size metric pipe or tubing for anything.under pressure.

Dash fittings are for imperial size pipe/tubes which are still widely used in the pneumatics/hydraulics industry. -3 is for 3/16ths" OD tubing which is a touch under 5mm so way too small, replacement brake lines are usually around 10mm OD so could possibly actually be 3/8ths" which would be -6, you'd have to check for sure..

Don't be tempted to try and use dash fittings with close(ish) size metric pipe or tubing for anything.under pressure.

I can say 100% that you need -3an hose and fittings for brake lines. Metric banjo bolts and metric -3 adaptors are widely available. Be careful though as standard -3 hose fittings are 3/8 unf which is very close to but not the same as M10 x1.0.

-3 is 3/16 ID not OD.

I can say 100% that you need -3an hose and fittings for brake lines. Metric banjo bolts and metric -3 adaptors are widely available. Be careful though as standard -3 hose fittings are 3/8 unf which is very close to but not the same as M10 x1.0.

It might be for other types of fittings that use the dash designation but the AN system, which is what this thread is/was about, uses it as the OD of the pipe tube.

taken from BGC Motorsport as that seems simple and to the point.

The way that the AN series works is the Dash size relates to the outside diameter of a tube to which it fits to in 1/16” steps, so in strict AN terms a dash 8 fitting would be fitted to a ½”OD tube, also specific threads are related to each of these sizes an AN8 is a ¾ x 18 Tpi which is a UNF based thread with a 37 degree seating cone, these are known as JIC (Joint industry Council) in the UK , (but also now known as SAE 37), where as in the USA as SAE spec is the same thread form but with a 45 degree seating cone.

Phone up BGC motorsport and ask for dash 6 fittings by all means, but you will get something of a size more suited to fuel lines than brake lines. Brakes generally use a -3an fitting or -3JIC (3/8unf) for calliper fittings. M10 to -3 JIC adaptors are readily available.

Archived