Reducing Weight Transfer

Wildcard

If you want to reduce weight transfer in corners do you increase damping at the front or rear?

Weight transfer from front to rear? rear to front, side to side?

On gas exiting I assume? if so more rear compression will help a little. Moving the wheel back in the swing arm more.

I tried more compression at the rear and it made it run wide as soon as I touched the throttle.

If you want to reduce weight transfer in corners do you increase damping at the front or rear?

front to rear

I tried more compression at the rear and it made it run wide as soon as I touched the throttle.

So on the gas exiting a corner..(one or the other not all)

Reduce front rebound damping.

Add rear low speed comp damping

Add rear high speed comp damping

lower center of gravity

That doesn't make sense.

Running wide is caused by over extension of the front suspension and/or excessive compression of the rear suspension, both of which lead to the head angle getting shallower as the power is applied.

If you've added rear compression damping you've increased the amount of energy the rear shock will absorb and so reduced the amount of rear compression suspension compression for the same throttle opening.

Sure you didn't reduce the rear compression damping rather than increase it?

Yes . . .

which is what is baking my noggin

I have put it all back to near stock apart from preload (coz I'm 110kg . . . In my pants) and then put the damping on my own track settings. Maybe both ends aren't equally damped.

Why do you want to reduce the weight transfer? what is the problem you are trying to solve.

Why do you want to reduce the weight transfer? what is the problem you are trying to solve.

turn in . . . line good . . . gas on and it heads wide

tyres aren't helping at the moment but it's not just them

turn in . . . line good . . . gas on and it heads wide

tyres aren't helping at the moment but it's not just them

Try picking the gas up later, but feed it in more quickly.

Edit: If you weigh 110kg you'll need a stiffer spring preload alone won't help.

at Snetterton on Monday so I'll have a good old play around with this then. . . .

. . and I've booked it in with mct lol

IIRC yours is a 2005 model? Forks don't need uprated springs and your rear spring is 0.5kg/mm out. So you "Might" benefit from a 105n rear spring.

But heres a tip Henry mate.

Ask Darren (MCT) to give you the settings your bike is set at. Then stick these on some tape and tape it to the underside of your seat.This way if you muck them up again you can revert back to the settings. :biggrinvk4:

Are you just getting the set up service? IMO if you are there opt to have the fork oil refreshed if not done for a while.No point playing about with suspension if the oil is like cats wee..Also get him to check your rear shock for wear.

Also another thing is to make sure your linkages are lubed properly as this will also have an effect on the handling.

What im trying to say is that its not JUST the forks and rear shock you need to look at to have a good suspension set up.

I'm sure MCT will sort it or you mate :icon_salut:

Archived