Brushed Aluminium Finish

wantabe

There was an article about this is PS the other month as they were looking to restore the original look to a Slingshot frame that had been polished in the past.

They concluded the best way to get a lasting finish was to do it with scothbrite pads, using GT85 like a lubricant.

Not sure exactly what the GT85 does as it is not something I have ever used personnaly, and I dont know what it contains, but they claimed it would maintain the brushed appearance longer.

"Not sure exactly what the GT85 does as it is not something I have ever used personnaly, and I dont know what it contains, but they claimed it would maintain the brushed appearance longer."

The GT85 is similar to WD40. i.e. a water dispersor.

Using it with the ScotchBrite will slightly impregnate the frame, not a lot but will get into the smaller pores of the material and leave a minute film / residue of itself to reduce the risk of corrosion.

Or you could use ScotchBrite on the frame and have it painted in a matte clear coat.

Rob.

Scotchbrite produces a fantastic brushed aluminium finish and should help any lacquer to adhere to the aluminium -

If you're going to clear lacquer the frame I think I've seen a clear etching lacquer somewhere which might be good on aluminium ? In the past I've always just used a automotive lacquer - however make sure the area where you spray is nice and warm and if possible warm up the area on the frame that you're going to lacquer to prevent the lacquer clouding which I think is due to tiny traces of condensation ?

There are different grades of Scotchbite - don't use anything too harsh - especially if you use the rotary type Scotchbrite pads in a drill - this requires great care - if using a drill start with the softest grade pad and use very little pressure - don't abrade the surface for too long - don't get the pad or aluminium hot and again don't use too much pressure ! Hand pads are safer but I found with practice the rotary pads gave a more consistent long grain rather than by hand which seemed to give smaller more random 'scratches' - I guess with practice either way will produce the same result - but takes forever by hand.

It really makes an excellent finish - just start in a 'hidden' area until you're happy with your technique - Wear gloves so you don't mark the brushed aluminium - use a soft brush to remove any dust .

BTW I had my aluminium bead blasted to a dull finish before I started Scotchbriting to give a consistent finish - it looks matt grey but don't panic it will come good once you've Scotchbrited it ! - It might be better to try vapour blasting which won't be quite as harsh ?

Good luck !

Cheers

Paul

Why not get the frame clear anodized, it's what the factories did.

You still need to get a decent brushed finish first. Scotch brite pads ar ethe way to go, though I have used some different pads that leave a finer more consistent finish, i'll try and get some product names.

Archived