Quick Diagnosis Question For The Strokers

Boozybloke

A mate at work commutes on a 2 stroke scooter, he just asked me for some advice; the engine is bogging a bit when he winds the throttle right on. He's been back to the garage once, and they changed his sparkplug which remedied it, but its doing it again. He's had the plug out and its fouling, in his words "it had a kind of crust on it" what might be the cause of this? I thought maybe it's mixing the oil a little too strong, he says it's about due a service so is this something they would check on that?

Ta in advance

Any modern scoot would have an oilpump I guess , in which case if it's overoiling and whiskering the plug they should adjust it at the service.

Does it do lots of really short journeys ?

Yeah, its used as a commuter, so twice a day across town. Thanks, I'll tell him to get his finger out and get it serviced

Clean the exhaust out, either a mixture of soda crystals( wear gloves and goggles kids) or a bit of petrol and light the other end or get an oxy/acetlyn gun on it- to decoak the thing, and check air filter

If he was really clever he'd change the plug to a different one (hotter I think, i used to know these things but can't remember now), so it burns off crap at the temperature the bike's getting to. Of course, check that the oil pump's adjusted correctly, it's usually really easy to do, and it should probably be somethign he should learn to do, not just to stop the plug fouling, but also so he knows that the right amount of oil's getting in, rather than it being too little.

My old TZR used to foul the plugs and make it hard to start if I didn't cane it in the last half a mile before I stopped, tell him to ride harder.

Not wishing to sound patronising but is he riding it properly? Most two strokes don't like being 'wound right' on at low revs and will bog. Maybe he needs to wind it on more gradually and not give it full throttle until the engine is revving and actually needs it.

Plus one for the decoke - on old vespas we would unbolt the exhaust, light a brazier and throw them in and let them get cherry red while we had a few wines. Then when they cool they've burned off all the soot and scale that you get. Bad ones would be cut open, cleaned (scraper etc) and welded back up. Quality oil will delay the coking, and yes a hotter plug might be indicated if he is only doing short commutes - colder when he decides to ride it through Spain in the summer.

Get him some Motul synthetic - costs more but worth it for the smell. Other brands are available but it's the coconut in the Motul I like :)

After the decoke it was awesome - I guess better gas flow and therefore proper scavenging (for a vespa)

Archived