Race Bike Breather Tanks. Ducati Related

Superdunc

After a bit forum wisdom please. I'm prepping my 996 track bike for racing. At the moment it has the standard set-up for the crank breather, i.e crankcase to small tank then to airbox. Will this pass scrutineering? or do I need o fit a larger breather tank? I know for performance this isn't ideal, and money no object I'd have an rs style tank under the seat , but it's not a priority at the moment. Thanks.

The standard setup is perfectly fine for racing from scrutiny point of view, but from a performance stance it is far from ideal. The standard setup tends to get flustered at sustained high rpm, hence the need for the bigger boxes higher up in the frame.

To be honest, scrutineers are more interested in safety things like lock wired sump plug and filter, and that the clip ons don't touch the tank. They are very often the same bods that do the cars too, so know that a brake hose rubbing the fork is going to cause trouble, but they don't know the difference in a good or bad breather setup.

As long at it ends up in the air box they dont care as said above.

My old 750 looked like it rerouted to the air box but intact terminated behind the subframe. IF* anything came out it would lube the chain :D It was never found in scrutineering.

*it would have to be something serious and rare for it to cough any out and hence never did.

All of my rubber hoses go into either the airbox, the catch tray or fizzy pop bottles ziptied in place.

Main bits checked are numbers, lock to lock, brakes, lockwiring, catch tray, hoses & footrests (solid or sprung).

Enjoy.

The standard setup is perfectly fine for racing from scrutiny point of view, but from a performance stance it is far from ideal. The standard setup tends to get flustered at sustained high rpm, hence the need for the bigger boxes higher up in the frame.

Is this unique to this bike or a general statement for most bikes? If you need catch tanks to prevent atmospheric ventilation, would it not be better then to send your crankcase breather to this too?

I'm sure into the air box is fine, they never check it.

I've also found that a clean tidy bike passes much more easily than a scruffy looking one :)

I'm sure into the air box is fine, they never check it.

I've also found that a clean tidy bike passes much more easily than a scruffy looking one :)

Oi ! What you saying about my bikes..... :biggrinvk4:

Oi ! What you saying about my bikes..... :biggrinvk4:

:icon_salut:

Some of the scrutineers are a bit fussy, but most of them are a good laugh. I think it depends on the vibe they get off you and/or your bike. If they find something they don't like, then they start looking a lot harder at everything else. Smile, be polite, don't get arsey if they pull you up. A good tactic is to go with someone you know and have a bit of gentle banter until they get to know your face.

I feel like a complete fraud giving you advise on this, but here goes.

Ditch the antifreeze and change to de-ionised water (you can get it cheaper at Asda than a motor factor), they sometimes look at the coolant bottle.

Lockwire everything (including the oil filter and ignition key if you are still running it) and make sure your lockwire is pulling the fastener tight

Made sure the bodywork is rock solid, as well as handlebars, lever and footrests.

Make sure lever ends. footrest ends and bar end are smooth. If they are gravel rashed just emery them back

Make sure the screen edge does not protrude past the fairing edge, or tape it over if it does

Tape over any Dzus fasteners

Clean all the engine areas, especially round the oil filter and filler cap. It's best to get busy with the degreaser and hose with the fairing off rather than going to scrute with a belly pan full of water

Make sure all open hoses terminate into something, or finish in such a way that you can see that they are open. Little plastic bottles that vitamins come in are quite useful for this. Leave the cap on, and drill a hole in the side for the hose to fit tightly into.

No cable ties holding fairings on, they hate this

All nylocs to be full engaged onto fastener

Don't lockwire wheel fasteners, caliper mounts, disc bolts, it unneccessary work

Don't forget the metal dust caps and to tape over the wheel weights (I've got some metal dust caps if you need them)

Don't cover up your chassis number

Your kit

Fill out your scrutineering card in advance

Helmet needs to be spotless and fit you well. Gold sticker, natch. A £50 e-bay special just out of the box will pass much easier that a lightly beaten five year old Shoei, despite the fact that I'd much rather wear the latter. I normally bring a helmet for scrutineering purposes that never gets worn on race day, but best to go with the helmet you are going to wear. Someone might spot the missing sticker. No scratched visors.

Boots, zips sound, make sure the soles are nice and thick and no holes on the uppers

Leathers and gloves, no holes, zips all good and make sure they aren't too thin where they are scuffed

Wear your dog tags, wally bib and back protector

Take your transponder

If you are running an on-board camera, tape over the mounting plate and go to scrute with it in place (they sign a separate form for these).

Good post Al. I was aware of most of those, but I'm still waiting for a current ACU hand book.

Do they really make you tape ver Dzus fastners? It looks shite, and I spent ages yesterday making mine fit correctly.

for dzus, i found that tank/duck tape in body colour was stickier than insulation tape. +1 for a small tab on the d-ring rather than a completely covered fastener.

I'm with you there Kaner, I have a roll of black Tesa tape in stock.

Some of the scrutineers are a bit fussy, but most of them are a good laugh. I think it depends on the vibe they get off you and/or your bike. If they find something they don't like, then they start looking a lot harder at everything else. Smile, be polite, don't get arsey if they pull you up.

No cable ties holding fairings on, they hate this

I've often been more nervous of scrutineering than the actual race,

With a tatty, dirty, lashed together hound of a bike (gaffa tape and zipties maketh a club race bike) I think it's mostly my smile and pleasant attitude that gets me a sticker and signature :D

Archived