Mismatched Tyres

drunkn munky

Just bought an ex race bike that the previous owner had been using for trackdays, it has a conti race attack on the rear and a supercorsa on the front. Now im usually a bit anal with tyres and at first was going to whip these off and fit a matching set but they really havent seen much action at all and have obviously been used like this so whats the general opinion on running mismatched tyres? Its a FZR400 BTW and if im honest im not what i would call fast nor will i be chasing 10th's of a second.

I do it all the time with no issues, i do pretty much only ride on the road though so you may have a bit more of an issue on track with differing warm up times, and differing levels of grip etc.

For road riding, i will sometimes use a grippier, more sports orientated tyre on the front (i.e. super corsa, racetec etc.) and use a more sports touring type tyre on the back to get more mileage out of it.

I wouldn't have a problem with it (I've done it before), but if it's going to mess with your head just change on or the other so they match.

Flog the one you've taken off, and it'll only cost you fitting.

Archived