Mot Questions

gsxr renegade

Apologies if this has been done to death already but i was wondering - is a functioning speedo a requirement for the MOT? I've had a look through a few MOT tester manuals that i found online and i can't see a section where they would test the speedo?

The only reason i ask is that my speedo cable has broken and a replacement will take a few days to arrive. I could do with getting the bike MOTd ASAP so that can use it to get backwards and forwards to work, and get around on etc. and i've got a spare few days at the end of this week so it'd be ideal to get it MOTd now. The bike does have a speedo, it just doesn't work.

I'd obviously fit the new cable as soon as it turned up as it's not a good idea to be riding without knowing how fast i'm going!

Also numberplate light - would it fail if mine doesn't work? again, read through a couple of manuals but i couldn't find a section on this.

Ta!

No it doesn't need a speedo cable.

I think you do need a numberplate light, but they possibly won't check it. Can't you fix it if it is broken?

Brill. Thanks guys.

Not sure if the numberplate light is easily fixable- i only noticed it last thing last night. I'm hoping it's just a blown bulb or corroded connections, that shouldn't be too difficult to fix.

As said, broken speedo not a fail.

You will need a bulb for yer no plate though.

My numberplate light hasn't worked for a couple of years, it's an advisory, as it's against the law or construction and use regs I think, but not an MOT requirement.

Archived