Honda Failing Rectifier

CRM

Interesting symptoms, i thought i had seen it all with the Honda V4's but this 99 CBR6 has an interesting fault.

On a sedate low RPM ride, battery charges as normal, yet when thrashed and ridden very hard all the time the battery is dead in no time. leave the lights on and it miss fires, turn them off and it runs fine - typical failing rectifier yes.

come to start the bike after a hard ride and its dead but will bump fine,

once started ride it slowly and keep the RPM low and the battery charges up and will start on the starter after a few miles.

battery holds it charge for weeks so i know the battery is not to blame (or wasn't before the rectifier kills it anyway)

So what do we think (apart from honda make shit rectifiers) rectifier doing its job until the input is too great where it just fails?

Heard people putting CPU fans on their rectifiers.I assume rectifier is the same as regulators since you mention V4,and electrical/charging symptoms.Get a different brand rectifier and see if that works better.

Yeah changing the rectifier is no stress, i have loads here from all the 400's

It was the symptom i was curious about, i have only known them fail or work, not as above.

A 5 wire Yamaha item is an easy fit and forget solution.

Bit off-topic,but had a strange charging symptom on my cb900c:It charged fine for the first minute,then stopped unless it was under load.Revving it made no difference,but when in gear and accellerating,and everything was dandy.Mine was a busted chargercoil.Probably a hairlinecrack in the coils.Hate electrical voes.

Sorry for digressing.Back to you.

It's a piece of piss to get a multimeter and check the output of the alternator and the output of the reg/rec, take the guesswork out of it all.

I had similar symptoms from an old Kawasaki Z1R, what it was actually doing was not capping the output from the reg/rec at around 14.5V so as the revs rose the voltage across the battery was getting up to 18V which caused the same symptoms you describe. If you put a multimeter across the battery and slowly increase the revs the voltage should rise from an initial level around 12V to 14.5V and no higher. If it keeps climbing with the rev increase then the reg/rec is goosed. Hope this helps, Ben.

Archived