R6 5Eb Yec Vent Kit Setup

Alex_H

Yo dudes.

I've got a 2000 r6 for track only. I acquired a yec vent kit which replaces the hose from the top of the airbox and routes it to the front of the bike. We've had it on the dyno today to see what happened as I've only ever run the bike up in the garden (was a crashed bike when I got it) and it didn't want to rev at all under load. Had some discussions with the dyno blokes who said the carbs could have needed bits doing to them to go with the new pipework like maybe blocking some air jets but the kit manual isn't exactly clear on what needs to be done.

Just wondering if any of you lot have had experience with these in the past before I stockify it lol.

Right thought I'd update this thread slightly.

I returned it to stock today and took it back down the dyno. We ran it up, made nearly 100bhp - till it got warm (80deg +) and then it would barely start. If you got it started, then you'd struggled to get it to rev past 2k, it was mega rich.

If it did rev past that it'd seemingly rev clean. Carbs seem to have a dynojet kit fitted to them, so I'm going to be after a stock set just to swap in and see what happens.

Thing is I thought if I took the airbox off and filter out, I was expecting it to breath easier, lean out and at least rev past that 2k but its still exactly the same. Quick ramblings these I know but thought I'd just right what I'm thinking lol.

Alex, on my 5EB the pipe from the front of the bike goes to the carb vent system to pressurise the float bowls.

No idea what jets mine is running!

My 5eb would barely rev at all without misfiring with the airbox open. IIRC, it requires a pressurised system, so all your testing etc really needs to be done with the airbox closed.

Coils can be another issue on this bike, try a 2nd set of coils, a weak coil although measures fine could break down under load and cause your exact symptoms.

Hopefully it's not got a dodgy liner, as these bikes are prone to the cylinder liners breaking up, have you done a compression test?

The 5EB engine isnt the best and the carbs are very sensitive. The Dynorod kit wont be helping. R6's have a big flat spot at about 8k too.

The yec kit shouldnt effect the running on any setup too much. what it will do though is at speed it will richen the mix up a little so a smaller main jet is probably required.

The engines are notorious for low compression/bad ring seal and regulary crack liners.

The engines are notorious for low compression/bad ring seal and regulary crack liners.

This is my fear. For the price of a compression tester, I think this is where I'll go first, as 2nd hand carbs on the bay are quite expensive. It seems that even 2nd hand, blatantly fucked motor's also seem to be bloody expensive. There's one with a thrown rod/dropped valve combo and he wants 200 quid!

Decisions ahead I think, sell as is or try and get another 5eb motor that isn't dead, or maybe even 5sl bottom end. Decisions, hate em lol.

Cheers for the replies lads.

Archived