98 R1 Coolant Problem

El Gringo

Hi All

Bit of an odd one, a mate of mine has a 98 R1, runs sweet as a nut, etc etc.

I serviced it about 5 weeks ago, and noticed the coolant was very low, took about 500ml in the Rad and the Overflow bottle was nigh on empty.

All filled up and away we go, i ran the bike up to temp and until the fan kicked in whilst i was balancing the carbs and it was fine.

He's just rung to say its puked up most of its coolant (He had neglected to tell me that it had done it before i serviced it too)

Any ideas?

Yes if it's under the sump it'll be the water pump seal itself and the coolant will be bypassing that and exiting through the drain hole in the middle of the sump.

If it's coming out of the overflow hose then something's causing pressure to build up, be that a head gasket leak, blockage, air lock etc.

Hmmm we shall see,

I would hazard that it runs too well to be the head gasket, and i burped the hoses when i refilled it (been caught with that one before)

I shall be back presently

And as if by magic....

He reckons it was from underneath so sounds like the water pump seal.

Would it only do it under pressure?

Don't bet against it. Bikes can feel perfectly normal while venting just enough chamber pressure to force coolant out.

Check the cap is sealing first and foremost.

I'm just about to leave work and don't have very good phone signal at home so may not be able to answer until the morning.

Possibly yes, but if it is coming from underneath then it's the pump mechanical seal.

Easy enough job, rad and sump off, clutch out and pump can be removed.

And as if by magic....

He reckons it was from underneath so sounds like the water pump seal.

Would it only do it under pressure?

the overflow pipe from the coolant expansion bottle runs down behind the back of the cylinder head / upper crankcase and vents down into the bellypan, it's held by a clip on the front of the genny engine case (which also holds the fuel tank overflow vent and fuel tank breather)

I would hazard a guess that when he says it's 'coming from underneath' and 'puking its coolant out' it will be from the expansion bottle overflow.

when it's the water pump seal it usually drips out (from the drain hole bang in the middle of the sump)

need to get the bellypan off and ideally the RHS infill / fairing panel to see where the coolant's actually coming from.

my money's on the expansion bottle overflow hose, caused by an airlock (has the coolant been changed recently?) or possibly the radiator cap not holding pressure.

Archived