Repairing Spark Plug Threads

drunkn munky

One of the spark plug threads on my FZR 4 has been cross threaded, the plug goes in fine where about half way down it comes to a stop. I have the head off and had a good look inside with some light and the thread doesnt look that bad, even the thread at the top looks ok its just half way down it looks messed up.

Now before i take it to a machine shop to sort would re-tapping the thread from the bottom up work seeing theres a good 10-15mm of good thread at the bottom will the tap recut the top half ok?

As you already have the head off I would just take it to the shop and have the job done properly, that way you know it is done. It doesn't cost that much.

Re-tapping it might work, but if it doesn't you've then got to strip the engine down again. Have you got a tap the right size? Taps that size ain't cheap..

A plug thread chaser is what you need, have a look on the bay

Machine mart sell these too, as there cheap i'll give one of those a go tomorrow. If that fails then.............

i have a 14mm spark plug helicoil kit

Jamie, would you be able to do it one evening next week if i popped it over?

Ivan can do it next week probably because i am off doing the LDD, and he is on holiday atm. Send hime a PM or call him next week

J

Archived