Zx6R C1H Not Pulling Through Rev Range Cleanly

Wallie

Bit of an odd one this.

Towards the end of last year, the 636 developed a problem where it would pull cleanly through the rev range, it would hit a wall at 12krpm and wouldn't rev any higher. This was only under load however, with the clutch in it would go to the redline no problem. I put it down to dirty fuel originally, so put a fresh tank through, and under the advice of the local bike shop put a bit of injector cleaner through it and it was job was done. This was when it was totally standard. I also checked the plugs and they all looked okay.

Fast forward to last week, over winter it had a full system, filter and Bazzaz installed and dyno'd with another 1000 miles problem free running also. Coming back from Uni i noticed it was doing it again, finding a flatspot at around 11/12krpm. When i got back i put some more injector cleaner in with some fresh fuel and went on a 250 mile weekend trip where it was fine until coming home, when it started again. It isnt too bad on 1/2 and 3/4 throttle, but its definitely worse on WOT. Its just like hitting a wall when it should start making the power.

Im going to give it an early service for peace of mind this weekend, so while its apart is there anything I should look at? Iv been searching all day and cant find any information to even know where to start looking.

Thanks.

Someone on gixerjunkies (k5 1000) had a similar problem and it turned out to be the fuel pump. Theirs wouldn't rev in neutral either though.

Another on there (k1 1000) found a faulty TPS gave similar symptoms.

Had similar problems on a CBR600RR, fuel pump eventually diagnosed at fault, swapped in a replacement from a breakers, bike ran like new again.

Is it possible to get it onto some sort of diagnostic software so you can have a look at various sensors etc, to see if they're all working OK? As has been said it could well be a fuel pump issue but if it's thinking it's still in 1st gear (and has some sort of ignition retard thing accordingly), or if it thinks the clutch is in, it'd do similar things to this too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived