Removing Stove Enamelling / Powdercoat Where Nuts & Bolts Need To Be Torqued Down

rd84

Hi,

Is there a neat way of removing stove enamelling / powdercoat where nuts & bolts need to be torqued down ?

I only have access to normal power tools. I do have a small 'model' mill but that is too small for mounting crancases and large items on.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

NB:- Will remember to mask these areas off in future ! :biggrinvk4:

Cheers

Paul

aceatone is ideal and its cheap stinks to high heaven buts its ideal.

worked for me on a set of wheels i had done

I had a race bike frame that was stove enamelled and the finish was AWESOME. Might be an option when the spruce up commences, how was it cost wise in comparison to powder coat?

Hi,

It was a bit more money than powdercoat but not prohibitive. I had a Yamaha RD500 engine done in satin black stove enamel by SEP of Kegworth - the finish is superb !

The only bit of the coating I want to remove is that which lies underneath the nuts and bolt heads - perhaps I don't need to ? - It seems like a pretty solid finish.

Cheers

Paul

aceatone is ideal and its cheap stinks to high heaven buts its ideal.

worked for me on a set of wheels i had done

Thanks - I've got some acetone - I just didn't want to damge the finish away from the nuts and bolt heads - perhaps I should just torque the nuts and bolts down onto the stove enamelling ? - it seems quite tough.

Cheers

Paul

Nitromors would have worked 15 years ago, now it's so weak you can use it as toothpaste.

As you say - not good - I've used Nitromors on painted frame components and it barely left a mark ! :iconthumbsdownkq8: - I tried several other paint strippers without luck. I found Coca Cola was quite effective at stripping clear lacquer from aluminium ! :biggrinvk4:

Cheers

Paul

I hear good things about SEP

500 you say.....:-)

I asked SEP to clean up, stove enamel and do a rebore plus new crank bearings and seals. I also asked if they could have a quick look at the gearbox. Turn-around time was just a few weeks - mainly due to the stove enamelling.

It came back in excellent condition - they would have done a full re-build if I'd asked. The gearbox was given the OK - when I double checked during re-build it was 100% clean inside along with the gearbox oil pump and filter.

So basically I was really pleased with them.

I'm just re-building the RD500 engine at present. NOS parts from Yamaha are eye-wateringly expensive - but I decided it was worth the effort given how much trouble and expense I was already putting into this project.

I've got a standard RD500 that I'm riding at the moment but this one is going to have modern suspension, brakes and wheels. It's being built from a spare engine and a RZV500R aluminium frame - so I've not destroyed a standard bike.

The handling , power and brakes of a standard RD500 are probably rubbish compared to modern bikes and cars - but they're great fun.

Cheers

Paul

2012_sept_020x1c2.jpg

This is my project bike - I've done a photoshop overlay with a possible colour scheme. I'm re-building the engine while the bike is away at an engineering shop having some work done on it.

Sadly there is a lot of the work that I can't do myself - it's a steep learning curve when you're not a mechanic or engineer.

Hope you like the look of it.

Cheers

Paul

Archived