Trumpet Sump Pan Won't Budge

jezz

Help,

Can some one give me some useful tips on removing the sump pan from a 2003 955i engine.

All the bolts I can see are out except the drain plug and the filter itself. I need to get the sump pan off as the filter is stuck solid and wont budge so I need to be able to get at it in a different way. The whole engine is being stripped down, cleaned and restored eventually. There seem to be some cast tabs in various places and I've tried whacking against these but it's not budging (yet!). Also the clutch cover is being obstinate. Can I use a copper pipe as a drift? Is there a specific order to whack the tabs in?

All (useful) help gratefully received

Cheers

Jezz

Your filter will be holding it on. I have (somewhere in my garage) a socket type filter removal tool that I bought specifically for my old 955i. I bought mine from Triumph, but I'm quite sure you can get them cheaper these days. Like here on ebay...

http://compare.ebay....&ff14=65&ff19=0

Be careful of the engine covers, mine were magnesium and probably wouldn't be up to bashing. Nylon deadblow hammer perhaps?

http://www.amazon.co...c_df_B004ZFEUB6

Having tried those filter removal tools, and seen the way a filter can easily be made in to the most perfectly round circle on the planet, I'd say make sure you're going to clear the threaded part on your engine (ie you want to be about an inch from the end of the filter, not the threaded end either), then dink a large flathead screwdriver clean through the filter and use it like a T handle thing.

Having tried those filter removal tools, and seen the way a filter can easily be made in to the most perfectly round circle on the planet, I'd say make sure you're going to clear the threaded part on your engine (ie you want to be about an inch from the end of the filter, not the threaded end either), then dink a large flathead screwdriver clean through the filter and use it like a T handle thing.

Yeah thats my normal method of attack Lorenzo, unfortunately the filter is so old or poor quality that it is just ripping to pieces when I try this :-(

Ok if the socket/cup type doesn't work, get a set of of filter pliers. I have set of those too*

* I've just realised that I have far too many job-specific tools, why do I have 3 different types of filter removal tools ( I have the chain type too)

Jaycee LOL!

She finally gave way to my mighty screwdriver attack! Bodgery FTW! :rock: :rock:

I've got a chain type removal tool, the more pressure applied the tighter it gets on the filter, it's never failed. Simple but effective.

Archived