Yamaha Caliper 'blue Spot' Removal Tool

rd84

Hi,

For Yamaha owners doing caliper restoration work I spotted this 'Blue Spot' removal tool on Ebay...........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-BLUE-SPOT-CALIPER-KEY-SPANNER-AIRCRAFT-GRADE-ALUMINIUM-/111067704587?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item19dc26ad0b

Hopefully this might be useful to someone on this forum.

I've just ordered one so hopefully it's good.

Cheers

Paul

i got one of those a few years ago-worked excellent!!i tend to pack it out with a bit of tape to make the fit tighter and to try to minimise marks-but does exactly as it says

Hi,

Got the tool today - nice quick delivery - it's quite a good fit but as said above I'd recommend some thin tape to give a tighter fit and to minimise scratching the anodised cover. As far as the actual removal goes treat it like a normal slightly seized bolt and apply some heat as suggested above to break any corrosion and minimise the force required to undo the blue spot cover.

Cheers

Paul

Am I right in thinking with these callipers, that removing the plug allows you access to push the pistons out? If so all callipers should be designed that way!

Thats correct Barry-not sure if Yamaha endorses it -but it works-best to heat them a little as they have a locking compound judging by the way the anodised portion undoes

Of course you don't need any tool to rebuild the calipers, just pump one pair of pistons out at a time. I never have removed the plugs.

Picture244-1.jpg

Picture248.jpg

Picture250.jpg

Am I right in thinking with these callipers, that removing the plug allows you access to push the pistons out? If so all callipers should be designed that way!

They use plugs so they can machine the piston bores conventionally ( from one side ) rather than using god knows what to machine a proper monoblock caliper.

Of course you don't need any tool to rebuild the calipers, just pump one pair of pistons out at a time. I never have removed the plugs.

I usually do that, but have suffered from a complete siezure and it hasn't worked.

Archived