Pod Filters On Cv Carbs.

Alex.

Hi Guys,

I'm currently building a Cafe Racer from a 1989 Yam XJ600, using pod filters. Performance is not the driving factor, as I have other bikes that are much faster than an XJ could ever be! The pods just fit with the look of the bike.

I know that the carb settings will need to change, but what would be a good baseline to start from?

The standard spec for the Mikuni BS32 carbs is:-

Main Jet - 105

Pilot Jet - 40

Main Air Jet - 70

Jet Needle Clip - 3 (although I do not remember the clip being adjustable on the needle)

Needle Jet - N-8

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm getting close to the end of the initial build!

Alex.

We did a ropey XJ550 a year or so ago and fitted foam pods to it (not those awful chrome capped mesh ones!) and ended up just raising the needles by a notch. That cleaned it up enough to make it rideable* and it sounded pretty good. It's a cheap (free!) fix and will give you a decent starting point. You might end up needing to bugger about with the main jet size but I wouldn't (personally) bother messing around with much else.

* 'rideable' as in 'no gaping flat spots needing tons of clutch slip to pull away' :lol:

I would lift the needles a notch to begin with. If there are no notches then get 4 M4 flat washers and put them under the top of the needles where they come through the diaphragm. One on each carb...

I'd also probably go to 115 as a starting point on the mains ideally. Maybe also consider a 45 pilot jet?

CV carbs aren't ideal to run with pod filters so you will always find a flat spot or imperfect fuelling somewhere.

Thanks guys, I'll lift the needles and see about some jets.

Can't wait to get her on he road! :icon_bounce:

Alex.

Archived