Splined Shift Knuckle Lever Arm Thingers

Kayla

What the blinking flip are they called and where can I buy some? I want a few to fit Yamaha shift shafts and they must be a standard/readily available thing because Aprilias use the same pattern (13mm diameter I think).

I've googled the pants off this and have found some bits for RC models but nothing remotely bike related.

Yamaha mostly call them 'arm, shift', but they're commonly known as shift knuckles.

You're right, most of them are a pretty standard size on the splines.

I've built up a little collection when fitting rearsets, breaking bikes that sort of thing but bear in mind there's literally hundreds of shape/length variants and some have the rode joint rivetted in, some are threaded, some nut and bolt so be careful what you buy.

A trip to a breakers is likely to be the most fruitful for you Kayla.

i saw a piccy earlier somewhere (i cannot find it) someone made a broach out of an old shift shaft, machined the splines so there were 3 cutting sections small, medium and then full size teeth, using a mild undercut so it cuts. he was making ally shift levers so easy.

i might try this one day.

How about this, cheap but a bit nasty!

I did find a place a year (or two) ago that did some nice ones for about £25. I linked to them on this forum but search doesn't go back that far, I'll have another look.

How about this, cheap but a bit nasty!

I did find a place a year (or two) ago that did some nice ones for about £25. I linked to them on this forum but search doesn't go back that far, I'll have another look.

I'd seen those and they're ok, and probably what Yam used on some of their bikes anyway! We've got a few old shift shafts lying around so I might have a go at making a nice brooch broach out of one.

i saw a piccy earlier somewhere (i cannot find it) someone made a broach out of an old shift shaft, machined the splines so there were 3 cutting sections small, medium and then full size teeth, using a mild undercut so it cuts. he was making ally shift levers so easy.

i might try this one day.

This is exactly what we did. The correct broaching tool was £700 from the states.

Archived