Bike Storing - What To Do.

Hi All

Right, BMW S1000 is to be living in her parents dry shed for a little while.

What to do for storage to prevent woes upon return.

Disconnect battery positive lead.

Pump tyres up and put some plywood underneath.

Clean and dry it, then lube chain a lot.

Pads away from disks.

Vaseline over fork chrome and shock

Fill it with fuel just prior to lay up.

Ideally find way of supporting bike so wight in not on wheels/suspension. Might be tricky.

bung up exhaust. And I suppose bung up intake.

Can anyone suggest anything else sensible... 'lend it to me' is not a sensible request, you haven't asked where it is. And its not mine to lend. But anyway.

Andy

Depends on how long it's gonna stay there.Are we talking a few months,or closer to a year?If the former,I would imagine you won't need to do alot other than what's listed.If longer,then maybe fill the tank with fuelstabilizer,and put the battery on a smartcharger.

Empty the tank, take it off and put some engine oil with a bit of petrol in it then turn it over and over to coat the inside.

Change the oil - some people say to leave the old in but I'd sooner it was fresh.

After you've lubed the chain move the back wheel up so the it takes the tension off

Hmmm. The oil suggestion is a good reminder. Its something to do with oxidants held within the oil being slightly corrosive isn't it. I shall have to see how involved (grubby) Mrs 2639 intends to get.

I will have to ask about the state of the roof, see if a strap can hoist the bike from the roof. There isn't anything like an Abba stand to hand.

The theory of leaving a bike with a full tank has changed with the introduction of ethanol to the fuel , get a bit of condensation in the tank and it separates , a lot of injectors do not like neat ethanol , so I'd go for the bit of oily fuel in the tank .

You still in Oz ?

I'd run it out of fuel, change oil, keep both wheels off the ground, disconnect the battery, placky bag over all overflow pipes, good dose of oil/grease in all moving parts, give it wash and polish and coat bare metal/ chrome parts in vaseline.

The theory of leaving a bike with a full tank has changed with the introduction of ethanol to the fuel , get a bit of condensation in the tank and it separates , a lot of injectors do not like neat ethanol , so I'd go for the bit of oily fuel in the tank .

You still in Oz ?

Returned topside last week. It feels rather chilly. Shall be in your neck of the woods next week. The AMCN thing worked quite well.

The ethanol thing sounds interesting. Using super unleaded with the least possible ethanol content prior to lay up sounds a sensible course of action then. And a cap full of oil in the remaining fuel sloshed around can't hurt.

Hopefully there will be no rodents eating their way through the wiring loom...

That lesser spotted varmint - the nephew - is far too young to be causing any mysterious lowside damage.

Archived