Question About Oil

Mahatma

I have a honda cb900 custom and wondering if there is an argument wether there is a point choosing 10w-40 oil over 20w-50 which I'm using now?Would there be a point in mixing those to get the best of both worlds as mine is sweating abit oil when using pure 10w-40 at the top,but doesn't using 20w-50.Gonna change seal at top which hopefully will fix the leak,but I have found that 20w-50 works beautifully so far.Just wondering if 10w-40 or a mixture will be kinder to the engine...Am using mineral oil.Is there a problem mixing mineral and semi-synthetic?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi!

Do not mix different types of oil! It might cause some severe trouble for lubrication! For example in industrial use I have seen mixed up mineral and synthetic oils that has formed A LOT of oilfoam. And with foam you cannot lubricate any bearing properly...

-Janne

Thanks.I know that oil MUST be able to mix due to military demand,but good to know that it might not be the best of both worlds.What about the first question?

Nope dont mix them,Drain and refil

What year is yours??

I have CB900 2002-2010 as 10w/30 SG 3.6ltrs

Stick with what the manual states,they spend lots of money getting the right oil for the engine and i dont tend to mess about with it.

Sorry,it is a '81 cb900 custom.And evilchicken:In norway oil do have to be able to mix due to the military.No need for namecalling.

Reason I use 20w-50 now is because of the slight oilleak which don't happen to the 20w-50.

Engines have small oilways in them, they're smaller on a bike than a car engine. 20/50 has a bigger heat range but generally it's heavier so it gets used in older cars where the tollerances in the engine and the oilways are generally larger.

If you put this oil in your bike it won't flow as quickly, it will cause the internal parts to drag more putting more strain on the engine's oil pump and possibly oil starving the engine.

Mixing oils for any engine is ... stooopid. The manufacturers will tell you what to use for a given situation, they may say it's different oil for different working temperatures but other than that it will be a standard multigrade.

Archived