Brakes - Air Pocket Or Something Else ?

CRM

got an issue on my CBR6

changed the front wheel and disks a week ago, and noticed a slight weep from one of the braided hoses.

However before i changed anything i did notice the brake lever felt fine as normal, but push the bike a few feet or 10 and the lever comes back to the bars.

pump it up and its fine again - until the next time it moves

So replaced the calipers (with some spare rebuilt ones ready to go) new pads, rubber OE hoses and master cyl - and it does the same.

Got what seems all the air out, a good firm lever, and if i push it forwards a bit the lever goes to mush.

So i assumed the disks were bent - but no, wheel and disks good, spin them on the balancer and all is true, no drag while pushing about or anything

very odd.

any ideas ?

Witchcraft. Clear case of brakes possession.

Does your milk go sour quickly too? Have you tested your next door neighbour for witch-like traits?

Try bleeding the brake,but if that don't work it may be the master cylinder which is shot...

Hope you find it out :)

Well it appears one of the discs is shagged,

i just put the old (tatty and rusty looking) ebc pro lites back on and all is well.

the wobble on the disk is enough to force the pads back.

Well it appears one of the discs is shagged,

Dead easy way to see if one disc is knackered is to put it on a front stand and spin the wheel while looking at where the disc runs through the caliper. As there's only about 3mm gap between the two anyway and wobble becomes quite apparant.

Dead easy way to see if one disc is knackered is to put it on a front stand and spin the wheel while looking at where the disc runs through the caliper. As there's only about 3mm gap between the two anyway and wobble becomes quite apparant.

... and your brakes feel like there's air in them :finger:

did exactly that. backed the pads off a couple of mm, and spun, and sure enough left hand disc had a wobble of i reckon a couple of mm - enough to push the pistons back hence the shit brakes.

new discs required as the prolites are horrible.

Archived