Single Cylinder Compression Ratio

thefatman

Right there i've been building up a bigger engine for my little 125

http://pbmagforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41450

So the crank now has a longer stroke, 63mm bore up from 55mm so it should have a bit more umph. I had a choice between two cylinder heads, so I measured them using a syringe, one head gives a cr of 8.9 - 1, the other 14.9 -1.

I think it'll need a spacer plate to bring the 14.9 - 1 down to a more reasonable level. What is a good level to aim for? I want to run normal unleaded, max revs is around 9.5k rpm, combustion chamber is 14cc's.

So 12-1, 12.5-1, more/less?

And is it best to put the spacer plate below the barrel, or between the barrel and the head?

That'd involve tools( i've not got a lathe/milling machine) and making a new exhaust(which I could do) as well it's a twin port vs single port so I was thinking it'd be easier to cut out a spacer plate. Its taking it from 10hp up to maybe 16hp so it's not a high performance machine by any standards.

do you know how thick the spacer needs to be to make a sensible CR? i would guess at something like 11.5 or 12:1

I've just bashed in some number into online calculator and it looks like a 1mm spacer will give 11.9:1

Does that sound reasonable I need to check the measurements as i've not got them to hand.

You need to to make a sandwich of base gasket / spacer / base gasket, so you can cut it out of 0.75mm ally but have a 0.5mm ready in case it's too much.

I would say put the spacer under the barrel and aim for 10.5/1. I don't suppose the cam has a lot of over lap, or the combustion chamber or squish have been optimised, so any higher will result in detionation at lower rpm.

Thanks i'll go for that then. I wouldn't know an optimised combustion chamber if it jumped up and slapped me in the face so i'll keep it on the safer side of things. I was just hoping to cheat an extra bit of power and economy out of it.

Archived