Sumitomo Caliper Pistons

Jenny Pryde

How about between blue spot and gold spot. Are they the same diameters?

That's actually a good question and one that each time I've had the chance, I forget to physically try out.

Manuals say the blue spot calipers have diameters of 30.2 and 27mm, gold spots are listed as 30.1 and 27mm

Unfortunately having never actually tried the swap myself, I can't say more than that.

If I can fit lighter pistons, I will.

4 piston or 6 piston?

Axiel or Radial?

The r1 has a broad range of calipers spanning it's 14+ year existence.

Hence my asking specifics.

4 piston non-radial.

Then i'm pretty sure the gold spot calipers have different piston material to the earlier blue spot calipers.

Whether there is any 'advantage' or not i'm not sure?

Marcaztls probably knows?

Calipers themselves, no different JP.

The pistons are much lighter. I can't give you specific numbers, something else I always forget to weigh/measure/check but well worth swapping if possible.

They also insulate better heatwise and are much less prone to getting crapped up and sticking. Slightly smoother action but must admit I can't tell in use, just when fitting.

Non-radial brake caliper mounts arent axial, as that would imply an ofset in the axis of the wheel spindle.

Really........................

Mine are blue spot with steel pistons. Quite fancy making up some ali ones and having them hard anodised.

Probably cheaper and easier to use gold ones with the ceramic/composite/whatever pistons and change the gold to blue?

Calipers themselves, no different JP.

The pistons are much lighter. I can't give you specific numbers, something else I always forget to weigh/measure/check but well worth swapping if possible.

They also insulate better heatwise and are much less prone to getting crapped up and sticking. Slightly smoother action but must admit I can't tell in use, just when fitting.

Thanks, marcaztls. Much appreciated. This is exactly the info I was after.

Mine are blue spot with steel pistons. Quite fancy making up some ali ones and having them hard anodised.

I think they're Diamondyze anodised

Archived