Dome Head Or Taper For Caliper Adaptors

micro-monkey

have just recieved my new harrison billet calipers and 65-40 mm adaptors for the 996. thing is though, is that the bolts i recieved with the calipers when fitted to the adaptors stand out a mile, knurled as well as being massive. just wondering if using m10 dome bolts is acceptable and safe although m10 1.25 pitch is rare . the other sensible option is probolt tapers.

I'd go with the Pro-bolt taper headed

. the other sensible option is probolt tapers.

Stainless isn't a sensible option to replace HT bolts despite all the shite probolt come out with. Ti yes.

Send kayla a PM, she's got a selection of Ti caliper bolts and some pretty reasonable prices.

Stainless isn't a sensible option to replace HT bolts despite all the shite probolt come out with. Ti yes.

Whilst the first bit is true, standard bike brake caliper bolts aren't HT and have no requirement to be, in fact most caliper bolts in the last 10 - 12 years are factory fit stainless.

Whilst the first bit is true, standard bike brake caliper bolts aren't HT and have no requirement to be, in fact most caliper bolts in the last 10 - 12 years are factory fit stainless.

Bit early for an April fools joke isn't it. ??

Could you qualify that please. There are dozens of grades of stainless steel.

Same with Ti. I wouldn't use anything other than OE for brakes. No really work the risk for a minuscule weight save.

Could you qualify that please. There are dozens of grades of stainless steel.

Certainly, there are loads of different grades of stainless but you'll only readily get hold of A2 or A4 both of which are only around 80% of the strength of 8.8 HT steel which is really the lowest you could class as HT let alone the higher grades. You can get higher strength, more exotic stainless but it's not common and you'd probably end up paying Ti prices for it if you could get the sizes you needed.

Probolt are the only "mainstream" supplier I can think of that actually advertise A4/316 stainless bolts for caliper fixing, other stainless suppliers will actually tell you it isn't going to match OE specs and shouldn't be used in HT applications such as caliper fixing, surely any responsible supplier should not put forward replacements that are blindingly obvious of inferior strength to the OE ones. They're not a "special" grade at all just bog standard if you look at their spec sheet http://www.pro-bolt.com/media/wysiwyg/Material_specification.pdf

That said plenty of people have used stainless as replacements for HT without mishap though I have seen some that have necked/stretched. I just wouldn't risk it myself and don't think a "responsible" company should put forward their use, I'm sure a lot of users would think twice if they knew exactly what they were fitting and not just understandably accepting the advertising as gospel.

Everything you say I completely agree with, but brake caliper bolts still don't need to be HT, as the tightening torque just doesn't require them. 35 Nm is not dramatically high for a 10 x 1.25 mm A4 bolt. The shear force caused by the braking action is handled by the friction of the mated surfaces, not the bolt itself. The bolt supplies the force to mate the surfaces, and generate the friction 'grip'.

HTH :)

went with 4 titanium tapers in the end, £18 :icon_pale:. i always used stainless previously from various suppliers for brake mounting and never had a prob, With having the adaptor bracket and the increased stresses of that i went with ti for safety sake.

Archived