Srad Swingarm Swap (Quick) Help Needed

V6Jon

Afternoon all,

I have been offered (very, very, cheaply) the back end off a K6/7 GSXR 750, it is a complete assembly including :

Swingarm,

Pivot bolt,

Rear axle and adjusters,

Hugger,

Caliper & mount,

Shock,

Shock linkage/dogbones etc

I am tempted to go for it and see if this would go into my SRAD, but thought I would see what the collective expertise on here know about this one.

From what I can see is should be OK, other then the swingarm pivot bolt is narrower so I would need to get a new pair of the plates that screw into the frame made up. My main concern is that the arm fits between the frame spars correctly !

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jon

Don't know whether it will fit between the frame spars but people quite often have small amounts machined off from the sides of swingarms to make them fit if it's only a bit out. Of course that could turn into a serious headache with bearings & seals, chain alignment, shock and linkage alignment etc.

As long as it's all straight and legit and also very, very cheap I'd buy the lot anyway. If it doesn't fit or it turns into a major job to get it sorted you've got a good few quids worth of parts there to sell, and you'd probably end up better off financially just from selling it all seperately. Seems too good to miss.

Armi who pops on here did something very similar to this, off a k4 I think. I also think he swapped back to stock as the later model arms are all a bit longer and slowed the steering down by a fair bit. I may have made all of this up in my head of course, but I think it's probably real.

Sorry to rain on your parade but the K6/7 swinger takes some work to fit. The big thing is that the swinging arm spindle is smaller and the arm is quite a few inches longer more than the SRAD's, I know as I have one sat in the garage!! Also you woukld need to get a spacer machined up for the rear shock as it is a few inches shorter than the SRAD ( i have a K8 shock in the back of mine). K1-4 gsxr swingers bolt straight into srads with almost no mods bar depandant on model rear brake hanger.

There was a fellow in the states that did the work to his road bike but needed a new spindle and spacers made up, he also had the dog bone mounts on the swinger cut off and new ones made and welded on the swinger to line up with the SRAD shock and dog bones. With a longer swinger it will effect your handling and also spring rate on the shock as it now has more leverage.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295304&highlight=srad+swinging+arm

Here is a link to a yank site were we talked about it all, hope this steers you in the right direction, oh yeah last thing that swinger allso weighs a fair bit more than the SRAD's.

Thanks for that, sounds like quite a PITA to fit !!

Having got some measurments overnight I had pretty much given up on the idea as the newer arm was much longer, which was not going to improve the handling any !!

I was primarily looking at this as an easy way of getting rid of the SRAD's carbuncle of a rear brake setup, I barely use the rear brake when riding and would love to ditch the torque arm and fit a tiny rear caliper on a custom hanger.

Archived