Rear Reflector And Where To Stick It

buster

Stick It!!  

13 members have voted

1. 1. On the number plate at the bottom, centralised?

2. 2. Suspended slightly below number plate, centralised

Forum massive your opinions please.

I have bought a new number plate which is slightly smaller than a normal size plate, alternatively it may just appear to be a little further away than a normal sized plate if viewed from the same distance. I'm not sure if sticking the reflector on the plate will look as good as using a small bracket and having the reflector below the plate. So to help my indecisiveness to become decisiveness poll away!

You can get little round stick-on ones about the size of your thumb nail

(yes, thats right, I've seen your thumbs, hope you sleep well),

Your local MOT station will have a card of them, a quid should be what they're worth.

I normally stick them out the way in the corner of the plate, you could get two and be all symmetric :)

Well here's what the rules state:

Statutory reflectors

Mopeds and motor bicycles require one unobscured red reflector which is aligned to the vehicles longitudinal centre line and is positioned to reflect squarely to the rear. If the motorcycle is fitted with a side car the side car will also require a reflector fitted towards the nearside and positioned to reflect squarely to the rear.

Extra reflectors

fitted to a motorcycle are

not included in this inspection.

Reflecting and Retroreflective tape

must NOT be regarded as a substitute for an obligatory reflector.

I've just noticed you've said that you've got a smaller number plate, you do realise that's part of the MOT test too right? I'm not saying that your tester will fail it, but technically they should unless it meets these criteria:

All motorcycles and tricycles must display a number plate at the rear of the vehicle. Motorcycles and tricycles registered before 1.9.2001 can display a number plate at the front of the vehicle but are not required to.

If you have a two or three wheeled motor cycle or tricycle that has a body type of a four-wheeled vehicle, you MUST display a number plate at the front and back of the vehicle.

The characters may be smaller e.g.

Character Height: 64mm

Character Width: 44mm

Character Stroke: 10mm

Space between characters: 10mm

Space between groups: 30mm

Top, side & bottom margin: 11mm

Space between vertical lines: 13mm

Motorcycles registered on or after 1 September 2001 must display a two-line number plate number plate. numberplate.gifMotorcycles registered prior to the 1 September 2001 may display a three-line plate, but one-line plates are illegal, irrespective of the date of registration of the motorcycle.

From 1 September 2001 all new number plates must display the new mandatory font. Combined with the new format registration mark, number plates will become clearer and easier to remember.

Number plates fitted before 1 September 2001 need not be changed provided the character font used is substantially the same as the one shown to the left.

Number plates must be replaced if they have been customised with:

Stylised letters and/or figures such as italics

Number plate fixing bolts that alter the appearance of the letters and/or numbers

You can't change the letter script, or font, from the `Charles Wright' typeface, or push letters or numbers together to make amusing spellings. The plate must have a BS AU145a number on it.

Okay, that's enough of me being boring. Sorry.

Plate is 8" x 6" Mark, it'll be presented for M.O.T with a standard 9" x 7". Reason for 8" x 6" is the tail tidy and indicators mean that the standard size plate only just fits between the indicators and looks crap, vanity I know but I'm not going stupidly small.

I reckon that having the reflector on a (sliding) stalk below the number plate means swapping between the plates won't be too onerous.

Just stick the reflector on the MOT plate surely?

I used to stick it on a bit of ice cream tube hung from the bottom of the plate with double sided tape for the MOT then take it off after.

Archived