Hollow Rear Swingarm Pivot

riversbikes

Hello, all, in the effort to shave some weight off of my er6 racer, I did a bit of measuring and realized a triumph 675 hollow rear axle (in 20mm) will work with my versys swingarm. Lopped nearly 1 lb off the weight of the rear wheel assembly -- worked perfectly. I then realized the same hollow, aluminum 675 rear axle would also work as a swingarm pivot bolt as well -- the correct diameter and length. Just wondering about the strength... would it be strong enough to hold up in this application? FWIW, triumph uses a hollow 17mm swingarm pivot on its bikes, but the material might be steel... not sure. Any opinions out there?

james

I would of thought both would of been steel tbh, especially as the bearing races are steel.

If I'm wrong and they are ally then I'm surprised. I wouldn't use it on the swing arm pivot anyway. It's not unsprung weight and a lb is nowt.

I would go for it, a pound is worth saving and if you can do it cheaply even better.

I guess as a race bike you have already shaved lots of weight off it and you wont have a 12 stone Doris on the back so strength shouldnt be a problem.

Yes.

90s Yam swingarm bolts are hollow and (I think) the 3TJ uses the same part for both the swingarm and the wheel spindles (or it might be the TRX, I can't remember.) I use TRX850 swingarm bolts in SZR660s because they're much lighter.

Yes.

90s Yam swingarm bolts are hollow and (I think) the 3TJ uses the same part for both the swingarm and the wheel spindles (or it might be the TRX, I can't remember.) I use TRX850 swingarm bolts in SZR660s because they're much lighter.

And are the Yamaha ones aluminium?

Archived