Cleaning An Engine...

stuntmonkee

...whats the best stuff to use / techinque? Vaguely remember using 'Gunk' in the past? Its for blade engine (bare alloy mainly I think) if it helps?

Cheers

Gunk has always worked for me, Jizer is another option

Techniques vary but I tend to spray on, leave for 5 mins, rinse wheels etc with a paintbrush to loosen the stubborn stuff and then hose off. Dry, Polish, WD40 the switchgear and any exposed connectors job jobbed.

Like kit-parts said,but a scrubber wouldn't go amiss before the pressure washer...

cillit bang shifts stubborn grime, just do it outside though.

I used Gunk when I cleaned the R1's lump and I was very impressed

it does exactly what it says on the tin, as the saying goes.

Not tried Jizer but I can confirm that jiz is not particularly effective as an engine cleaner

+1 for gunk and brushes. After rinsing off, brake cleaner and small brushes for detail areas.

I discovered Jizer one day when I popped into see a mate at the Taxi repair business he owned, the boys were looking around my then 929 FIreblade when they offered to clean it and they used Jizer to get the road grime etc off. He offered me a 5 litre can, foc.

I'm not sure what's in it but having used it at home, it tends to be Winter wash now as it leaves a thin film of oil type protectorant ( is that a word ?) after hosing off great in the winter when FS Spray is added on top , but the neighbours find it a bit slippery in the drier months when rain hasn't washed it away.

It also eats plastic garage gloves

Morris Lydian is good stuff as well, not so good for the garden when you rinse it off into the flower bed though...

Archived